It was a packed and hot sports gym on Friday when the second place Varsity Blues faced the first place Golden Gaels. If the last meeting between these two teams, where Queen’s (7-2) narrowly defeated Toronto 3-2, was any indication of what could be expected, the numerous fans were in for a real treat. These two squads did not disappoint, as Friday’s match turned out to be a real nail-biter.

The men’s volleyball team is comprised mostly of first and second year students, making it one of the youngest in recent memory. But the experience of the Golden Gaels could not stand up to the raw talent of the Blues. Marc Arseneau and Adrian Weglo demonstrated incredible power in their spikes, scoring 31 and 13 points respectively. The precise setting of Chris Pigott also played a big part in Friday’s win.

“The passes the players received were solid,” said head coach Orest Stanko. “That gives us the opportunity to run a fundamentally elaborate and sophisticated offense. Dale Chung set for us in the first half [of the season] and did a great job. It’s because of him that we’ve been able to challenge for first place.”

From the very start, play was quite evenly matched, with neither team showing any clear advantage throughout the match. The first game set the pace for the rest of the match, as the teams remained neck and neck the whole time. Too many unforced errors on the part of the Blues cost them the set, which they lost 25-22. Unfazed by the loss, Toronto bounced right back in the second set, taking an early lead. The Golden Gaels never relented, but the Blues remained focused and took the set 25-21.

In the third set, Queens took the early lead and won the set 25-20, with the Blues nipping at their heels throughout. With Queen’s only needing to take one more set to win the match, the Blues started the fourth set with nothing to lose. Toronto took an early lead and truly dominated the Golden Gaels. Numerous blocks and smart plays by the Blues gave them the set, 25-17, in what was the cleanest playing of the night.

The fifth set went back and forth, with both teams tied at 11 at one point. The teams exchanged single points until the Blues finally scored two points in a row to win the final set 16-14. Needless to say, every single person in the sports gym was on the edge of his or her seat.

This win gives the Blues a record of 8-2 first place in the OUA East.

There are still five games in regular season play, with the Blues facing the York Yeomen. Friday’s win is definitely a confidence booster for the young team, as Queen’s was ranked 4th in the CIS national rankings.

But the Blues haven’t traveled the entire length of the 2001-2002 season road. “We’ve got to take what we achieved tonight, and start understanding that every single point requires focus,” said Stanko.

“That’s how you build intensity. Intensity is a product of the kind of focus, preparation, and identification of what’s happening on the court that’s needed to win. We’ve certainly shown tonight that we can do it.”