The feeling should have been sheer frustration. Having come off a game in which they outshot their opponent by 20 and managed only a 2-2 tie, the men’s hockey team could have easily slouched in Friday night’s game versus Queen’s. Instead, they heeded their coach’s advice and continued attacking the net on their way to an 8-2 spanking of the Gaels before an estimated crowd of 564 people.

The Blues (5-7-4) wasted no time in marking the scoreboard by putting in the first tally 45 seconds into the game on a goal by Brandon Barbowski. Ian Malcolm (4 goals, 1 assist) highlighted the first period by scoring twice and assisting on another goal by Mike Nason (1 goal, 2 assists) to send U of T into the first intermission with a 4-1 advantage. The victory ended a three-game winless streak for the Blues.

“The whole first half [of the season] we had trouble putting the puck in the net. Tonight we just wanted to come out and have one of those breakout games,” said Malcolm.

Entering the third period with the game all but over (at 7-2), play became more physical as the Blues tried to kill time aggressively while Queen’s (3-13-1) dealt with the reality of another loss. 14 penalties were called in the period for a total of 36 penalty minutes.

“They’ve been a rival for the last couple years. They’re in last place right now, so they’re not too happy with what’s going on,” said Malcolm. “We tried not to talk to them too much because we have to play them two more times, so we don’t want to stir the pot for the next couple games.”

In all, 29 penalties were called between the two teams. The belligerence of the game stemmed from Toronto’s relentless attack on the Queen’s net, which fatigued what had otherwise been a healthy-looking group of visitors.

“We just told them [the players] that if they keep on putting the puck on the net it’s going to go in,” said coach Darren Lowe.

This stage of the schedule is favourable for Blues at a time when they look to be peaking as playoffs approach. After Ryerson on Sunday they travel to Queen’s and RMC (6-10-1) for a couple of games before visiting Concordia (6-8-1). If they hope to obtain home ice advantage and some rest before their first playoff action, the games ahead will make the difference.

“Things haven’t gone the way we expected this year,” said Lowe. “We’ve played well but haven’t gotten the results…We’re gonna try and take it one game at a time.”

The Blues defeated Ryerson, 5-2, on Sunday to move into first place in the MidEast division with a record of 6-7-4.