The Varsity Blues swimming squads were able to hone their skills at the Downtown Performance Meet this past weekend at the Athletic Centre on Friday and Saturday. Many U of T athletes finished strong and were
able to add some cash to their wallets as a result. In general, though, the team focused on tuning up for the Ontario University championships in two weeks and the Canadian championships next month.

“Basically, everyone’s in a taper right now,” explains team co-captain Theo Cull.

“Workouts are getting shorter and more intense, with a lot of really fast, hard races.”

Shorter practices are definitely a bonus right now for the swimmers, who regularly put in seven to ten workouts a week. Both the women’s and men’s teams are considered the favourites heading into the Ontario finals. Team coach Byron MacDonald, who has been involved with the club for 24 years, likes their chances at the Canadian
championships as well. He is hoping for third place finishes from both squads after perennial first and second place finishers Calgary and UBC.

“We will be competing with Victoria in the women’s, and on the men’s side five or six
teams,” says MacDonald.

While the award money at this weekend’s tourney seemed sparse ($40 for a first place finish and $10 for second place) some athletes were able to bring in significant dough by winning multiple races. Liz Warner, a 4th year English major at U of T, took home titles in the 200m and 50m backstroke, the 400m and 200m individual medley and the 400m freestyle.

Warner has improved dramatically this year and says she is feeling a lot stronger.

“When she became involved four years ago, she had very bad shoulders,” explains MacDonald. “Because of that we could not add weights too early. Finally, we’ve been able to go at it with an extensive dry land program.”

Warner suffered another setback two years ago when she sprained her ankle dancing to the Spirit of the West song “Home for a Rest.” Oddly enough, it was the not the first time she has been injured dancing to the song.

Warner hopes to qualify next month for the Commonwealth Games in Manchester.

She has already competed in the 1998 games in Kuala Lumpur, where she took home a silver medal. “It was the best trip I’ve ever been on,” she says. “I swam my race on the first day and got to relax the rest of the time.”

As for “Home for a Rest,” coach MacDonald says with a smile, “She’s been banned from listening to that song.”