It was an easy win for the Blues in Sunday afternoon’s game against the McMaster Marauders. The three-set win was almost predictable, with the Blues scoring points consecutively and McMaster scrambling to pick up what was thrown at them. The Blues were victorious, beating the McMaster Marauders 3-0 (25-9, 25-14, 25-20).

U of T started the game off right, gaining the first point of the match and leaving the Marauders dazed and wide open to Jon So’s powerful spikes. The Marauders called substitution early in the game. Good communication, encouragement and game focus were what kept the Blues together and on top of the opponent. The Blues definitely showed the less-skilled Marauders how the game is played. Chris Pigott and Nikola Vitas’ phenomenal blocking helped gain a lot of points for the team. Marc Arseneau meant business with 4 aces in the game and solid serve technique, and Blues setter Dale Chung did a great job with his sets, making it easy for team players to use the ball to their advantage and to win the second set.

The Blues seemed to be relaxing and losing interest in the third set and tension mounted as McMaster suddenly regained some of the composure they lost in the first and second sets. It looked like McMaster was ready to make a huge comeback—almost.

The score became close and the Blues were tied with McMaster several times. Blues fans were definitely on the edge of their seats, constantly checking the scoreboard, hopeful for a Blues win yet still unsure if the Marauders would surprise them.

“By the third set the guys were really not playing their best and were just really tired,” stated Blues head coach Orest Stanko. “They just need to play against a more skilled team to get more of a challenge, especially now as we approach the semi-finals. This win puts us in second no matter what we do…. We just need to work hard and focus even more as the finals approach.”

With only one game (against Guelph on Thursday) separating the Blues from the OUA semifinals, the heat is on as they try to stay focused and get their heads in the game. The win against the Marauders puts the Blues in second place regardless of Thursday’s outcome.

“I think we’re more looking at the playoffs right now. [We need to] put this win behind us [before] we can play the home game against Guelph next week,” stated Blues fourth-year setter Chris Pigott. “Guelph should be tougher, but if we play well and play our game we shouldn’t have a problem.”