Brian Dikdan is like any other student at St. George, who divides his time and attentions between his fiancée and the group assignments for his computer class.

In the little spare time he has, he usually hangs out at the Athletic Centre. Despite the hectic juggling act on campus, Brian Dikdan emerged as one of the best pitchers in Ontario University Athletics this past fall.

Arriving from Marist College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y, the computer science major’s first year on the Varsity Blues baseball team was nothing short of spectacular. He earned OUA Most Valuable Pitcher honours and the starting pitcher’s spot on the 2001 OUA All-Star team by winning three games while sporting a 0.75 ERA and striking out nearly a batter per inning (24 strikeouts in 28 innings).

Dikdan also tied a Canadian Intercollegiate Baseball Association record by striking out the first eight batters he faced in the OUA semifinal against York University. His performance helped the Varsity Blues attain a 23-8 overall record (11-3 in the regular season) and reach the semifinals of the National Championships.

Dikdan’s season was more remarkable since he was not 100% healthy.

“I had not played baseball for over a year until this past summer. I had been unable to play because of a health problem unrelated to baseball that required two surgeries. So this season was just one to get back into shape.”

Plus, during Nationals he suffered an eye injury that “hampered [his] play a little, but was more of an inconvenience than anything.”

When asked about his proudest baseball moment in 2001, he didn’t talk about the eight consecutive strikeouts or the numerous individual plaudits bestowed on him. Rather, he recalled the 1-0 victory in Game 1 of the OUA final against defending national champions Brock Badgers, saying, “It was important that we won that game because it gave us the momentum to beat Brock (in the three-game series), and then go on to Nationals.”

Of course, Dikdan’s importance in that game was no less secondary, as he pitched a complete game, while allowing only three hit. His downplayed attitude towards his contributions—team first, then him—just shows the type of individual he is on the squad.

Head coach Dan Lang isn’t as modest in his assessment.

“Brian was unquestionably the number one pitcher in our starting rotation. I would describe him as a pitcher rather than a (fast) thrower, since location became important this year (due to the return of wooden bats). Brian was quick to the significance of that. On the field he is all business. He never makes mental errors, and because of that everyone respects him both on the bench and in the field.”

Didkan was born in Landing, New Jersey, the oldest of three children. His parents (mother Terry is a second-grade teacher, and father Sam has his own contracting company) were a bit uncertain about his attending U of T this year. But those worries dissipated when they visited U of T and Coach Lang.

“Brian and I talked several times before he came to U of T. He contacted us first, and was as interested in the computer science program here as he was in the baseball team,” states Coach Lang. “[My parents] always emphasized academics over athletics,” Dikdan echoes. This isn’t just talk, since he has a Computer Science degree from Marist.

“[They] have been more supportive then I ever imagined. They started my love for baseball and they keep it going with their support and involvement.”

After Marist, Dikdan turned down a $60,000-a year job with Lockheed Martin in Binghamton, NY so he could continue his education and play baseball.

“Well, I want to play baseball for as long as I can even after university. Baseball was definitely a factor in my choice of schools. [For instance] I went to Moravian College (a Division III school) in Bethlehem, PA for my first year of post-secondary schooling. I wanted to play at a higher level so I went to Marist.” He intends to follow his baseball dreams but harbours no illusions.

“I know I have some opportunities to play a higher level of baseball after university and I will explore them when the time comes. I have done well in school, so when I cannot play baseball any more, I will have something to fall back on and be able to make a comfortable living.”

Seeing as he had two years of eligibility left in Canada (compared to the one remaining in the US) it was a no-decision which side of the border he would land on. The trouble was where exactly—and the answer came from his fiancée’s father, who recommended U of T because of its excellent baseball program. The fact that U of T has one of the best computer programs in North America sealed the deal. “Those two factors made the decision easy,” said Dikdan, who is taking courses towards the graduate program.

Brian’s love for baseball began at an early age. “When I was three I first threw a baseball, and ever since then I was addicted.” Little League came three years later, along with the immediate realization that the game came easy to him. That talent didn’t come without practice, he says: “Baseball has always been hard work…. The only way I can get better is to work harder and harder.”

His talents as a baseball youth culminated with his inclusion in the Babe Ruth League All-Star team at the age of 16.

“(Up until now), it was probably the best team I played on. We went 22-2 and finished second in the country, and I was named to the all-tournament team.”

The other season that stands out to him is his senior year at West Morris High School in Flanders, NJ, where the squad went 23-5 and finished second in the conference and state. Dikdan was also bestowed with team MVP, best pitcher honors, All-County, All-Conference and second-team All-State. Coach Lang says, “From talking with Brian, it quickly became apparent that he had a lot of baseball experience at a relatively high level of competition.”

Those experiences with such competition helped ease his transition onto the strong Blues baseball team, who almost made it to the national championship final this season.

“Nothing eases the disappointment of not winning the national championship. The team’s performance was amazing. We were such a close group. It was great playing for such a team. In all my years of baseball, this is a special team. I think that next year will be even better then this year and the national championship will be ours.”