It’s been ten years since Rob Halford left Judas Priest. And it’s been over half a decade since Tim “Ripper” Owens took over the helm, but he’s still getting flack. While some controversy is expected when one of heavy metal’s most important bands goes through such a vital shift as losing their defining voice, you don’t expect it to carry on for almost half the band’s career. But like Black Sabbath and Van Halen before them, the Priest are still working on convincing fans that the new singer is every bit as good as the old one.

Currently on tour in support of their latest effort, Demolition, Owens breathes a sigh of relief at his increasing acceptance. “It’s good to hear that someone likes me,” he half-jokes, frustrated at the continual comparison. “I really feel like I’m finding myself on this album. I didn’t have a lot to do with the songwriting itself, but I still put my stamp on them with the way I sing ’em. But when it comes to the old songs, there will always be something there. They could come out and see one of our best concerts, but the question will be in their mind. They don’t realize that they can like both Rob and I. They can enjoy all of the material for what it is.”

Even if “what it is” isn’t always the full story? “You’re talking about Rock Star, aren’t you?” laughs Owens, referring to the recent Mark Wahlberg movie based on Owens’ story.

In Rock Star (for the people living under a rock), Wahlberg’s character is the frontman for a cover band. When the band they pay tribute to loses their singer, Wahlberg is called to try out. While this does seem like an unlikely rags-to-riches tale, it’s pretty much what happened with Owens and Priest.

“Well,” shrugs Owens, “It’s only loosely based on what happened. The only thing they got was the idea, which came from a New York Times article. They embellished a bit. My story just gave them ideas. Yeah, I was in a Judas Priest cover band, but I was in another original band when they called me. It was, like, a year later. There’s a lot of fantasy in that film that would never really happen, but I suppose that’s what made it a good story. Now how about getting the real story? I’ve thought about writing a book before…if the interest is there.”

Feeling lost in the shuffle with no standout characteristics, Owens admits that he hasn’t totally been playing the part of Judas Priest’s frontman over the past few years. The fans expect leather, studs and long hair, for crying out loud!

“I always go out there with a different look, but one that isn’t my own. It seems kind of silly to be worrying about this image thing, but to be honest, Judas Priest were formed on it. When have you ever seen a picture of the band without a ton of studs and miles of leather? While I do care more about sounding like a good singer, I’m starting to understand that there’s a status quo to maintain.”

Still, Owens is quick to point out that looking the part isn’t ALL that matters. Again, it’s acceptance from the fans—the boss, if you will— that’s most important.

“Even if you’re going out in the leather over and over again, at least the music has to move forward, or you get stagnant and the fans get bored. You want a stable image, but you also want to advance, not putting out the same record over and over again. Am I accepted? I suppose so. The crowds are singing along. And what’s better than the crowd singing?”