GUELPH (CUP)—Genetically modified material from the University of Guelph has made its way into the food chain, but health officials say the risk to human and animal health is minimal.

University researchers discovered two weeks ago that 11 genetically modified pig carcasses were missing from a freezer where they were being stored. Health officials were promptly notified and informed of the situation.

The animals were part of a research project designed to make pig waste less harmful to the environment by decreasing the phosphorus levels in it. The animals were genetically modified to contain a new enzyme within their salivary glands.

Officials from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), Health Canada and Environment Canada began to investigate the incident to determine the risks involved.

“Health Canada conducted a risk assessment to determine what level of risks may be posed by this unfortunate accident,” said Ryan Baker, a spokesperson for Health Canada.

The pig carcasses were traced to a rendering plant, where it was determined that the heat from the rendering process likely destroyed the enzyme in question. The plant produces feed for poultry.

“Our conclusions are that the genetic material that was rendered into animal feed represented a minimal risk to human health,” Baker said.

Health officials also pointed out that any remaining genetically modified material would have been further diluted when added to other feed ingredients. About 20 kilograms of material was inadvertently added to about 675 tonnes of poultry feed, one official from the CFIA said.

After rendering, the feed was distributed to 21 poultry farmers. Only 1.5 tonnes of the infected feed had not been utilized. This was promptly incinerated, due to a breach of the Canadian law concerning animal feed.

“Any new feed introduced has to be cleared by the CFIA and the Feeds Act,” one CFIA official said.

Health officials also added that if there had been a significant risk to human health, a complete recall of the poultry feed would have occurred.

“For the CFIA, the first priority is consumer protection,” said Louise Laferriere, a biologist and spokesperson for the CFIA.

“If there was a [significant] risk, there would have been a recall of the product. We wouldn’t want to have to destroy any more animals unnecessarily,” she added.

The current task of health officials from the CFIA and Environment Canada is to investigate the procedural errors that allowed for the pig carcasses to be mistakenly discharged. Environment Canada and the CFIA are currently looking into the University of Guelph’s procedure for the handling and disposal of transgenic and research animals.

Laferriere stressed that procedure and “lines of defence” at every level needed to be re-examined, even though the health risks were minimal.

“In terms of human health, this isn’t really a concern. It certainly [however] points to a need to tighten the system.”

Laferriere also acknowledged that university researchers did not notify health authorities right away after discovering the pig carcasses were missing.

“About a month had passed while the carcasses made their way through the system without anyone knowing that they’re missing.

“This is definitely a concern,” she said.

Environment Canada is also conducting an investigation to determine whether the university violated the Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA).

“The investigation is ongoing to see if there was a breach of the CEPA. Biological waste is supposed to be incinerated,” said Jim Louter, a spokesperson for Environment Canada.

Louter also pointed out that possible penalties for such a violation range from a written warning and fines to criminal prosecution.

No spokesperson for the University of Guelph was available for comment at press time