Members of U of T’s Jewish Students’ Union (JSU), along with the Canadian Zionist Federation and the Israeli Consulate, held a vigil on Thursday to commemorate Israelis who have been killed in the past 18 months as a result of the conflict in the Middle East.

“We cannot remain silent about the situation of terror in Israel! For the sake of our Jewish brothers and sisters we must speak up, so that they can live freely in their own country—freely go out for a slice of pizza, freely go shopping at the mall, and freely live a normal peaceful life,” said organizer Bram Bregma, a third year U of T student. Bregma mourned the death of his friend Yochai, a young man who was killed by a suicide bomber.

“Yochai loved to laugh, smile and enjoy life. To me, each individual who was a victim to a terrorist action is as meaningful as Yochai. How many ‘Yochais’ will have to die until people start showing their support for Israel’s painful crisis?” concluded Bregma.
Aron Kasman, president of the JSU, said violence in Israel will only end once there is an “immediate cease fire on all sides and a return to peace talks.”

He said peace will not prevail while “uncontrolled militants, members of Yasser Arafat’s Fatah movement, are blowing up innocent men, women, and children.”

Followed by a reading of a list of the names of victims who were killed since March 12, 2002, Adam Cutler, JSU member, proposed a five step strategy to counter terrorism: “There are things we can do!” he said, “we can show our support by actually visiting Israel, we can give financial assistance through charity—there are hundreds of Israeli families who need our help.

We can write to a member of parliament in order to express our concerns over Canada’s international position on the Israeli situation, and last but not least,” Adam said, “we can write and show sympathy to the families who have fallen prey to terrorism.”
After saying a prayer and lighting candles for the memory of those killed, the group of about 80 people began its solidarity march to the Israeli Consulate on Bloor St., waving Israeli flags, singing songs and shouting “End Terrorism!” and “Let the Jewish Nation Live!”

The rally was concluded with the singing of Israel’s national anthem.