Ripples of panic are spreading through the Ontario university system amid recent news that students have started to flood universities with applications a full year before the elimination of grade 13 and the resulting double cohort.

The Ontario University Application Centre reported a 16 per cent increase in applications from last year. They are largely a result of “fast-tracked” students who are applying a year early to avoid the massive influx of students caused by the elimination of OAC.

But professors say they aren’t even ready for the boom in enrolment in September 2003, let alone even a small boom one year ahead of schedule. They note that all students could suffer because the provincial government has not released enough money to hire enough teachers and build enough classrooms and residences to accommodate the boom.

“Universities are not a priority….They [the government] are more interested in tax cuts than proper funding for universities,” said Henry Mandelbaum, executive director of the Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations.

He notes that fast-trackers, who normally constitute about 6 per cent of applications, are now up to 15.8 per cent.

The government maintains that they are aware of the situation.

“The ministry believes that its projections are accurate,” said Ministry of Education spokesperson Bruce Skeaff. “They are monitoring actual enrolment figures and if there is any need to adjust things, [we can] work with colleges and universities to address them.”

But asked what specific initiatives have been designed to address OCUFA’s concerns for the upcoming school year, he referred to their website, which was last updated Fall 2001. While it listed the Superbuild Programme, some projected funding increases and proposals for capping tuition, nothing on the site indicated contingency plans to deal with unforeseen funding issues.

OCUFA maintains that additional funding is needed.

“A 400 million dollar investment is a reasonable and practical investment for the government to make,” said OCUFA president Dr. Henry Jacek.

“I find it appalling that the government didn’t deal with an entirely predictable situation in sufficient time,” Mandelbaum added.

Skeaff maintains that the ministry is confident in their projections, and does not “expect to have to address any substantial rejigs…. We’re not going to speculate on what might happen.”