By winning the Varsity’s 2002 awesome NCAA giveaway, Jorge has been given free rein to write a column answering the question “Why doesn’t Canada generate significant hype for its playoff basketball?” Here’s what he had to say:

Basketball hype? Sounds almost as oxymoronic as Toronto and Stanley Cup right now. Canada, supposedly the birthplace of the game (which it isn’t, don’t get me started), couldn’t care less about basketball. It seems like every time I flip to TSN, they show me freaking curling. Come on now, let’s get some excitement, people! If it doesn’t involve ice, I guess it’s not nice, eh?

In the United States, there is a reason why there is a March break. It’s no coincidence that the Madness (the NCAA basketball tournament, for those of you still fuming over Icegate) occurs in the month where thousands of university students have nothing to do for a week but become rabid fanatics. Sixty-five teams from around the country vie for bragging rights. Big-time programs and little programs are all invited to lay the smack down. And who says they discriminate in the U.S.? Millions, and I mean millions, of people tune in to watch the drama unfold, each cheering and hoping their team makes it to the next round. Can you imagine even twenty-five people showing up to a Varsity Blues basketball game? Me neither.

And that’s why I’m supposed to write this. Not only is basketball far down the list of sports for most, but there also isn’t the same fan base structure as in the U.S. There is no school spirit at U of T. Sure, we parade around with U of T backpacks, and U of T sweaters, but when it actually comes time to support the teams, no one gives a rat’s ass. Mom and dad, maybe bro and sis show up for games, a girlfriend here, a boyfriend there, but no loyal fans who cheer no matter what.

A reason for this apathy is a lack in quality of play. This argument holds some merit because, as everyone knows, once an athlete gets good, real good, he/she gets offered a scholarship by a U.S. university. How can you expect to keep the best players in Canada if you don’t offer sport scholarships when countless American universities do? At least give them some reason to stay in Canada, damnit! So in the end all the talent is exported, and what are we left with? Slightly above-average players playing at an elite level. Who would really want to go see that? Not me—I’ve got to make it home to see the Leafs sell out another season.