We’ve been seeing previews for this new Matt Damon flick for the past four months. Screaming solid action and a fast-paced plot, the ads promised what seemed sure to be a summer blockbuster.

They were probably right. The Bourne Identity will likely be among the top moneymakers of the season. Does it deserve to be? Sort of. Director Doug Liman (Go and Swingers) gets solid performances from Damon and his counterpart, German actor Franka Potente. The supporting cast includes Julia Stiles, Chris Cooper and Clive Owen, all gifted actors themselves. Add exotic settings like France, Switzerland and the Czech Republic, and you’re set, right?

Sure, it’s got most of the elements of a good spy thriller—a good lead character with a quirky companion, lots of suspense, the odd bit of humour, and action. Some action, that is. While what’s there is great, there isn’t nearly enough of it. Those lengthy previews that make you think you’ve seen the entire plot and don’t need to fork over fourteen bucks to see it again? Bingo.

It’s not exactly the most intellectual thriller of the year, either. The plot, adapted from Robert Ludlum’s 1980 novel of the same name, is passable, and the writing at times is fairly weak. It certainly doesn’t measure up to some of the truly intelligent films (think Insomnia) gracing theatres this summer. If I had to sum up this flick in one word, it would be “rental.”