Muhammad Ali is now sixty, and is fighting the biggest battle of his life.

Considering some of his previous bouts such as the “Rumble in the Jungle” against heavily favoured giant George Foreman in 1974, the “Thrilla in Manila” against Joe Frazier in 1975, or his infamous clash with the U.S. government for refusing induction into the army, it is hard to imagine a tougher foe.

The enemy this time deals its blows from within. Ali has been suffering from Parkinson’s disease for several years and his condition has deteriorated substantially.

He has dedicated his life to bringing attention to this debilitating disease and raising funds for treatment and research. It is this dedication that will bring Ali to Toronto next month, where he will kick off his latest national initiative, “Muhammad Ali—In person for the greatest good.”

Ali will be present at Skydome on October 20, when the Toronto Argonauts take on the Ottawa Renegades, and will be honoured during a special half-time show. Tickets for this game will be sold through Ticketmaster, with an extra $10 surcharge to be donated to Parkinson’s research.

Before the game, ticket holders will be invited to an exclusive screening of a biography of Ali.

Nearly 100,000 Canadians suffer from Parkinson’s disease, which is a progressive neurological disorder characterized by tremors, stiffness, slowness of movement and difficulty with balance.

U of T’s Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases is one of the beneficiaries of the fundraising campaign. “As Canada’s leading research university, the University of Toronto is proud to be in the ring with Muhammad Ali and Parkinson Society Canada in finding a cure for this disease,” said university president Robert Birgeneau in a statement released last week.

Although Ali lives and does most of his fundraising in the U.S, this campaign is a Canada-wide initiative. “(We have) already made several fundamental discoveries that are helping us understand the biochemical processes involved in Parkinson’s disease… Mr. Ali’s decision to promote awareness and education in Canada is particularly gratifying,” said Birgeneau.

Parkinson Society Canada is the other research foundation that will benefit from the event. “Mr. Ali’s willingness to come to Canada and build awareness of and support for Parkinson’s personifies the courage that Canadians living with Parkinson’s demonstrate every day,” said Meredith Saunderson, national chair of the organization.

The football game will be attended by politicians and sports luminaries such as retired boxer George Chuvalo, whom Ali defeated at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1966.

The Argonauts will designate an area at Skydome where special guests will man telephones and take pledges from all over the country.