HALIFAX (CUP)—Dalhousie University was the venue last Saturday night for a street brawl that left in its wake scrapes, bruises and harsh criticisms of university security’s inability to protect students from attacks on campus.

Four members of the women’s rugby team and a male friend were assaulted on their way from a campus bar to a party.

The incident occurred in front of the school’s law building. They were approached by four women who demanded they hand over their money. When they explained that they were students and didn’t have any, a fight ensued.

“One of them [said] ‘Don’t laugh at me,’ and they just started throwing punches at my friend,” recalled a rugby player who asked that her name not be published. “I grabbed the girl and her hair came off in my hand … because it wasn’t her real hair.”

“I don’t fight, I’m not a fighter,” she continued. “I didn’t know what to do, so I tackled her. But once I was on the ground, they just pretty much kicked the shit out of me.”

Dalhousie security arrived and broke up the fight.

When the rugby players pleaded with security for a ride to their party, they were told that the fight had happened on the sidewalk and therefore was out of their jurisdiction.

The women were followed by security and the attackers to the party where Halifax Regional Police arrived. The four aggressors fled from the scene.

“So security didn’t stop the girls who beat us up and wouldn’t drive us anywhere and didn’t help us,” said one of the assaulted players. “They followed us, but didn’t do anything except radio the police.”

Operations coordinator for Dalhousie security Peter Brown insists the girls were given a ride but refused further comment.

“We don’t discuss on-going investigations,” he said.

Stacey Lewis, university spokeswoman, said the incident report stated the girls were “escorted” by security to the party.

“Security does not investigate incidents that happen on city property,” she added.

“City property” as defined by Dalhousie is from one edge of the sidewalk, across the entire street and median, to the other edge of the sidewalk.

Since the women were beaten on the sidewalk outside the law building, they were technically on city property and therefore school security is not responsible for the incident.

“At some point, they divvied up jurisdiction,” Lewis said. “It’s more of an administrative type of thing.”

Halifax Regional Police deny any knowledge of an agreement stating where their jurisdiction on university property begins and ends.

“It doesn’t start and stop with us,” said Sgt. Don Spicer of the Halifax Regional Police. “We have a job to do.”

The police have closed their investigation of the assault at the request of the rugby players. Dalhousie security never investigated because it considers the matter a police responsibility.

There is no comfort for the attacked women. They worry for their safety and the safety of other students on campus.

“Our coach felt safe dropping us off at the student union building. But now he [feels bad], because what if he dropped us all off and something had happened while walking home?”

Dalhousie is not legally obligated to disclose campus crime figures.