Campus groups at U of T showed compassion for victims of AIDS last Sunday at the annual Toronto AIDS Walk.

The walk, which was started in 1989, aims to show support, raise funds and promote awareness about the disease.

Over a dozen campus groups, including the Sexual Education Centre (SEC), the Students’ Administrative Council (SAC) and Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transgendered of the University of Toronto (LGBTOUT) participated in the walk.

“We’re a large population,” said Daven Seebarran, AIDS Walk team coach for U of T. “We want to show a willingness to help.”

The U of T contingent at last year’s walk numbered about 150. This year, Seebarran anticipated close to 200 U of T students.

Campus groups have been raising money through barbecues, sponsorships, selling products, and collecting pledges over the past few weeks.

“We hope to raise over $7,000” from U of T participants, said Seebarron.

The funds raised through the walk are distributed to AIDS service organizations in Metropolitan Toronto.

LGBTOUT has been involved with the AIDS Walk for the past few years.

“It’s a way to give back to the community,” said Stephen Lam from LGBTOUT. “We all recognize the importance of AIDS research. It’s nice to see students get involved and have a social conscience.”

LGBTOUT had about 25 people registered for the walk. The group also hosted an all-ages dance Sunday evening at 5ive Nightclub.

For SEC, participation in the walk was also about actively supporting the cause.

“We’re the Sexual Education and Peer Counselling Centre at U of T,” said Mika Morris, Team Captain for SEC for the walk. “Part of what we do is disseminate information about sexually transmitted diseases. We’re glad to help.”

“It’s important for people,” said Lam, “either straight or gay, to participate in events like these.”

This year, AIDS Walk Toronto raised more than $600,000 in total. More than 16,000 participants walked in the fundraiser.

Photograph by Ryan Clements