A group of university administrative staff have mutinied against their own union, exacerbating the already complicated process of contract negotiation, and throwing the future of labour relations at U of T into doubt.

The revolt has been orchestrated by a group calling themselves the “Staff Representation Network” (SRN). An August memo from the SRN, e-mailed to approximately 2,300 unionized administrative workers, outlines the group’s grievances with their union and calls for its decertification.

“I’ve been unhappy with the United Steelworkers (USWA),” said Dave McRitchie, a part-time clerical worker at the U of T and a union member who received the e-mail. “I found them to be undemocratic, completely uninterested in the people attending their meetings…I don’t think this particular union is applicable to the university situation.”

USWA Local 1998 represents approximately 5,000 workers at U of T. Contract negotiations began over the summer, but the SRN says the members have been kept in the dark.

“We have not been invited to the table,” said SRN Chair Judi Schwartz. “The union began the negotiations in the summer. We have no idea what they are negotiating. All meetings have been in secret. Information has been sparse.”

The negotiations went to conciliation on Sept. 17, which means a provincial officer is sent in to get the university and the union talking again. As the talks stretched out over the summer, talk of a strike began to circulate. A USWA newsletter circulated to union members on Sept. 18 said that if negotiations did not pick up, Local 1998 “need[ed] to be ready to send a strong message to the university.”

Adding to this already tense situation, the SRN’s attempt to decertify USWA 1998 threatens to divide the union just as the negotiation is at its most delicate point. The same Sept. 18 newsletter says that such a split in the membership would weaken the union at the bargaining table.

Brian Marshall, director of human resources for the University, said that the possible split isn’t an issue however: “Both are continuing to talk, I believe very productively.” Of the SRN, he said “that’s an internal union matter; I don’t have any view on it at all.”

USWA 1998 representatives were contacted by The Varsity, but were unable to comment before press time.

The Students’ Administrative Council was unaware of the union split, but Mohammed Hashim, SAC university affairs commissioner said that the situation was “serious” and that SAC would consider its stance on the issue at a meeting of the executive on Thursday.

Decertification protocol requires the SRN to collect a list of names representing at least 40 per cent of the membership. Once that list has been submitted to the Ontario Labour Relations Board, a meeting of the membership must be held. If a simple majority of the membership vote for decertification, the United Steelworkers will lose the power to negotiate on behalf of the administrative staff.

Schwartz says the SRN is still looking at possible alternatives to the USWA. “We’re currently looking for an alternative, taking feedback from staff on all three campuses,” she said.

“I think the best solution is a staff association certified as a bargaining unit with the university,” said McRitchie.

Asked if there will be a strike, SRN supporters were uncertain. “I certainly hope not. I think the membership hopes not,” said Schwartz, adding that “There is a fear out there on campus that they may strike—whether it’s perceived or real, I don’t know.”