In an uneventful match last Friday, the men’s Varsity Blues soccer team tied 0-0 with the York Yeomen. Grey skies, gusty winds, and scattered rain created a dismal atmosphere that complemented the blandness of a scoreless game.

The game left U of T’s position as league leader unchanged, keeping the Blues six solid points ahead of the second place York team.

“We’re a better team,” insisted head coach Jim Lefkos. “We should have won this game. I am not pleased.”

Neither pleased nor displeased seemed to be the general reaction from coaches and players who have been enjoying a successful season (3-1-3) thus far this year. But there was obvious frustration and concern on many faces. Every game the Blues play this season shows strengths and weaknesses in the team, which can be a positive learning experience, but sometimes a bitter pill to swallow.

U of T knows where its talents and weaknesses lie. Defensively the team has done very well. Friday’s game marked the fifth shutout of the season. The Blues have allowed only three goals against so far this season. But the team struggles offensively, failing to create plays. The problem, explains Lefkos, lies with the midfield. The midfield players have yet to gel properly because some are returning from injury, while others are new to the team.

Marc Jancovic, veteran midfield player, is an example. “I didn’t have a great game,” he admitted. “I have to get back into the flow. I’m just coming back from an [knee] injury and I guess it takes time. I’m not pleased, though, with the way we played today. We should have smoked York.”

The Blues have a chance to redeem themselves October 10, when they visit the 2-3-1 York Yeomen. U of T can only hope their offensive game, which has been largely dormant this season, comes alive before they lose position in the OUA standings.

Blues women’s soccer also had a disappointing weekend with a 3-1 loss on Friday, also to York. The loss drops the women to third place in the OUA North division with an overall record of 2-5-0.