The United Steelworkers Local 1998, which represents approximately 5,000 administrative workers at the University of Toronto, says dissension in the ranks won’t interfere with reaching a labour settlement.

The union has been experiencing internal tension since last spring. A group of union members calling themselves the Staff Representation Network (SRN) has been circulating a petition to decertify Local 1998.

Critics of the union say the Steelworkers have failed to consult with their members about the negotiations with U of T. “They won’t give us any idea of what they’re bargaining for—they’re keeping us completely in the dark,” said Dave McRitchie, a part-time clerical worker at the university.

If the SRN succeeds in decertifying the union, the Steelworkers would no longer be empowered to negotiate labour contracts on behalf of the administrative staff.

Union representatives don’t think that will happen, however. “We’re not worried,” said Local 1998 Toronto area co-ordinator Stuart Deans. “What we are is concerned about the true motivation behind this.”

The internal troubles come as the union is negotiating a new contract for the administrative staff. Talks stalled over the summer, but a provincial conciliator was sent in mid-September to assist the negotiations. “It’s difficult bargaining,” said Deans, “but we will do everything we can to negotiate the best agreement possible.”

Deans added that a strike is a very remote possibility. “You have to get images of picketing and burning trash cans out of your head,” he said. “There are much more creative ways to do it. It’s possible to do institutional movement, behind the scenes. A strike isn’t the only way to make our views known.”

The SRN has sent out several e-mails to union members outlining their grievances with Local 1998 and asking for their help in the decertification process. A SRN e-mail bulletin from mid-September accused the Steelworkers of using poorly-attended meetings to approve major changes in strategy. “The union is non-democratic in that 25 or so members who are able to attend meetings decide the fate of some 2,700 members,” the e-mail stated.

Deans said the SRN’s actions are “unfortunate,” but they haven’t interfered with the labour talks. “It’s had no impact on how we’re conducting our negotiations,” said Deans. He added, however, that a divided union membership would “play into [the university’s] strategy.”

Deans described relations between the union and the SRN as “civil,” but said some of the information the SRN was relaying to members was incorrect. In particular, he disputed the SRN’s timing, saying that decertification is impossible until next July, and not this fall, as the SRN’s e-mails have indicated. “We’ve indicated to them that they should be providing legally correct information to the members. The incorrect information they were distributing was about the deadline for decertification. This information is something people are relying on—[it] ought to be correct.”

Deans played down anxiety about a strike or a splintered union. “We are at an opportune time to make changes at the negotiation table,” he said. “We have an extremely democratic union…we’re interested in addressing concerns that our membership might have.”

Speaking specifically about the SRN, he added: “the previous employee organization sought out the Steelworkers because they could provide better support and clout at the bargaining table. They chose the Steelworkers….This is really not helpful to the people that they’re trying to win over to their side.”