After leading her team through a 20-0-2 season, Karen Hughes is ready to bring glory to the U of T women’s ice hockey program. So what does the world-renowned coach think of her place in the hockey world? Hughes is the powerful force behind women’s hockey in Canada. She was head coach of Canada’s national women’s team in 2002-2003. She has also been the head coach of Canada’s under-22 national team. When she was an assistant coach, the Canadian national women’s team won the International Ice Hockey Federation World Championship in 2000. She also won a gold medal at the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.

Hughes started as a player. In high school she coached children. At university, she continued her work in intramural hockey. By the time graduation came around, she was already an assistant coach for U of T.

Some people who pushed her into the sport include her brother, whom she started playing with as a kid in Montreal. “At the time I really liked the Montreal Canadiens. Once we moved to Toronto, I had a chance to watch some women’s hockey, like the Agincourt Canadians and the Newtonbrook Normans,” she said.

She also attributes her success to her coaches. “Dave McMaster was a great role model as a hockey coach. He was calm, positive, encouraging and yet determined to challenge you to be a great player.” Alan Southard, a soccer coach, is another one of her favourites. “He taught me a lot about being organized, working hard and understanding the tactics of the game.”

Hughes says she did not have much trouble pursuing her dream of being a coach because of her gender. However, there were some stereotypes she had to fight.

“Being the only female in a class full of men at coaching courses… having to endure people who think you do not know anything about hockey because you are female,” are some of the attitudes she had to overcome. After becoming a coach, Hughes did not feel she had to prove her credibility. “Actions speak louder than anything else. [Success] is about being well-organized and providing a good playing environment for your players.” .

So how does Hughes feel about women competing in men’s leagues? Recently, Hayley Wickenheiser made headlines when she joined a men’s league in Finland. Wickenheiser played on the Canadian national team that Hughes coached. Her decision to play with the boys caused a lot of controversy. Hughes supports Wickenheiser’s decision.

“Joining a men’s league is what she feels she needs to do to be a better player and we support her in that effort. This is a personal choice for Hayley, just like others choose to play in different situations to be the best they can. This is really about Hayley and not about women’s hockey.” Some hockey pundits suggest it’s unsafe for Wickenheiser to participate in a men’s league. Hughes thinks otherwise.

“She is pretty big and strong and I’m sure she can hold her own. People forget Hayley grew up playing boys’ hockey, so it doesn’t surprise me that she wants to go back to it. Growing up in the West is a lot different in terms of the numbers of players playing women’s hockey versus the situation in Ontario.”

Hughes believes female athletes deserve more respect. “I think women’s hockey is still [considered] an amateur game,” she said. She hopes for more corporate money and sponsorships. Hughes also said her sport needs a bigger fan base. “I’m lucky that in my professional and coaching worlds I work in two places where men and women are treated equally.”

Hughes described being at the Olympics as a “fabulous experience, because you to get to see athletes and coaches from all over the world.” When asked about her Olympic success, Hughes is quick to deflect praise onto her players. “Sometimes I think every Canadian was proud, and we as coaches certainly were proud of our players and their success,” she said.

Do you think you have what it takes to be a professional hockey player? Here are some of the skills Hughes says she looks for. First off, you have to be a good skater because international ice is bigger than the National Hockey League rinks. You must have a great shot, along with passing and puckhandling skills. In addition, you must understand the game well. “They have to read and react well, and can adjust their game to different circumstances,” she said. Then there’s always the task of assembling a team. Hughes said it is key that you maintain a good team dynamic within the group to ensure players have good discipline. “We are pretty demanding,” Hughes said of the competitive national hockey team, which takes 20 players every year.

After all Hughes has accomplished, is there anything else she wants to achieve?

“There is always room for improvement. I like to challenge myself to get better at everything I do. I’m still learning lots about coaching and hockey and that is why it is fun and a challenge. I have had some great experiences along the way that I wouldn’t trade,” she said.