Victoria University College, New and Innis College all have clarified that residence admission for the coming school year will remain the same as it has always been despite the double cohort. Residences will maintain the 60:40 ratio between first year and upper year students and residences will not squeeze extra students into double rooms just to make more space for applicants.

The double cohort issue has concerned not only incoming first year students, but also many upper year students, especially those who have re-applied for residence for the fall. Many of them fear they will have a lower chance of being re-admitted to residence due to the increased number of students coming in the fall. Likewise, students are worried that living spaces may become overcrowded as single rooms turn into double rooms in order to accommodate extra applicants.

Nevertheless, the co-ordinator of residence office at New College, Nikki Barbe, emphasizes in a public statement that these rumours are simply not true. “I can certainly understand the anxiety that exists, but I can honestly say that there is no truth to this rumour. New College is committed to keeping the 60/40 split…as far as I know, most other undergraduate residences maintain the same 60/40 split,” said Barbe.

In many residences such as Innis and University, admission for first year students is based on academic average. For upper year students, residences such as University, New and Victoria use the point system. Points are awarded based on a number of criteria such as GPA, residence involvement, and distance from campus. According to the dean of University College residence, Jana Luker, the admission process has not changed. “Students should not be concerned, there is really no difference at all. It’s business as usual. There is not any disadvantage,” says Luker.

In fact, Luker explains that due to construction around UC and several other factors, it is actually easier to get into University College residence for the coming school year because fewer returning students have re-applied. She suggests the real issue with the double cohort is not that it is harder to get into residence, but that it is harder to get into the college itself because the admission average for first year students will be higher.

Meanwhile, U of T Student Housing Services have increased staffing levels for the summer months to meet the increased number of student inquiries about living off-campus. The housing service also offers the Emergency Housing Program for all U of T students who experiences a temporary housing crisis. According to Diana Scattolon, manager of Student Housing Services, “although the double cohort is bringing more first year students to U of T…the off-campus demand is not affected in a large way by the double cohort. Still, Scattolon advises students should still start searching early for housing this year.