U of T’s Faculty of Arts and Science is offering top-of-the-line laptop computers at bargain prices through a new discount program for its students.

The program, according to Paul Ruppert, Director of Instructional Technology for the Arts and Science laptop program, was initially started to create “a lower risk environment for students purchasing computers.” Currently, it offers a full catalogue of models that range from $1,000-$4,000 dollars.

Although the program is designed to offer savings for students, some of the computers may still be cheaper elsewhere. While most of the IBM models listed by the program have the lowest prices compared to the competitors, some Dell models can be found $100-$200 dollars cheaper elsewhere. Moreover, most models available by the program are the most advanced models, so if a starving student is just looking for the basics, much cheaper models can also be found at the competitors.

So why bother?

Paul Ruppert explains that this is just a pilot project. If after this year, sales show that students are interested more in the economical value and not the latest trend, then the program will change accordingly. He says the program always encourages students “to make the most informed decision,” whether they buy from U of T or elsewhere. The goal of the program is not to make a profit, he says: any money generated will go directly back to the program. In fact, funds will go towards projects such as creating an on-campus repair depot for the laptops. Although still under negotiations, the program hopes to have the campus repair depot up and running out of Robarts Library by sometime this year.

To help students get a feel for the laptop that suits their taste, the Faculty of Arts and Science (in conjunction with IBM and Dell) set up a viewing of the models that ran from Sept. 2-3 outside of the T-Card office at Robarts Library. The feedback from this event was positive, said Ruppert, as students had a chance to ask Dell and IBM technicians questions about the various models on display.

The goal of the project, said Ruppert, was to give students a fair advantage in the laptop market. The program’s goal was not to sell as many laptops as possible, he added, but “to help students get a better deal.”