Hundreds of well-dressed students lined the halls of University College this past Thursday with a common goal-to get a job. U of T’s Career Centre held its 16th annual career information day, but students who arrived an hour after the doors opened at 11 a.m. were greeted to an unwelcome surprise, a lineup stretching more than 150 students long.

“It’s ridiculous,” exclaimed Yoyo Pui Man Chu, a political science student in her final year. “I came here to speak to one specific company, and I have to wait in line. It’s a huge waste of my time.”

U of T’s large student body attracted 45 companies in search of a variety of new hires, from computer programmers to consultants. Notable companies included Microsoft, Hydro One and IBM. With such a wide variety of companies to choose from, most students were willing to wait in line.

“When I got here (the line) was moving pretty fast,” said Mark, a fourth-year computer science student. “Its my chance to talk to companies and try to get my foot in the door, give my resume and try to develop some contacts. Especially these days, any job is something to hold on to.”

Other students were lucky enough to find friends in line, much to the chagrin of the others behind them.

“I found some friends and got in line with them,” said Andrew, a fourth-year computer science student. “If I didn’t know anyone in line I’d be at the end of the hallway.”

Many of the students in line got an opportunity to catch up on reading or socialize with friends. But a few students chose to leave the line altogether.

“I don’t know what they were thinking, especially with the double cohort,” remarked Mitch, a fourth-year economics student who returned from a year of internship. “With the number of students here this year, I’m surprised that they didn’t organize this better. The event’s only four hours long and there are a lot of students who aren’t even graduating in line.”

Once inside the exhibit area, students struggled to move freely in the east and west halls of University College. With a capacity of just over 800 persons, both halls were equally crowded.

“I was standing for a few minutes just trying to get out of there. It was too crowded,” commented Simon Lam, a first-year graduate student.

Kathy Fellowes, one of the event coordinators, explained the situation. “We would much rather have a lineup to get in and a crowded (exhibit) area, than nobody here at all. It’s a testament to the awareness of the students and the caliber of the employers here.

“We’re aware that the space is small, but rooms are hard to come by these days, and moving the event off campus would raise the cost for the employers. We’re very proud to charge the lowest price in the province, amongst the universities, to our employers.”

The employers expressed mixed feelings toward the event. A few representatives commented on the lack of space available to talk to students and walk around, but enjoyed the enthusiasm of the crowd. One employer offered the idea of having it outside.