Canadian political heavyweights Preston Manning and Bob Rae addressed a jam-packed audience Thursday evening on the merits of democracy. Manning, founder of the Reform Party and Rae, ex-premier of Ontario, graced the Victoria College Chapel with an enlightening and interactive discussion entitled “A Public Conversation on the Future of Canadian Democracy.”

After brief introductions by various university officials, including President Robert Birgeneau and the Principal of Victoria College, the politicians took the stage for 15 minutes each to expound their personal beliefs about the future of Canadian government.

It was evident that Rae was the more pragmatic of the two, as he presented a rather Hobbesian view of human motivation and the ‘California phenomenon’ that was the Schwartzenegger/recall: “We in Canada sit back and say, ‘That would never happen here.’ Well, I have news for you… it’s the commercial side of [politics], it’s the celebritory side and it’s the side in which people have very little sense of loyalty.” He cited this “cult of celebrity” and television for the record-low voter turnout in the provincial elections.

Furthermore, Rae stressed the need for leaders to balance this “self-interest all around us… with a simple concept that’s called the public good.”

In contrast, Manning advocated the importance of honest “democratic discourse” and the need to “use democracy itself to fix democracy.” Instead of shaking our heads at the lack of interest shown in politics by youth, politicians should “connect our political process and structure to what they are interested in, not the other way around,” he said.

“I think what’s the missing ingredient… is idealism and passion,” he emphasized, “democracy, in the final analysis, is not just structure, it’s an ideal. It’s the idea that the ordinary person is of great significance and worth.” If politics are presented in a meaningful way, democracy would be revitalized and, ultimately, “the people will back you,” he added.

During the debating period immediately afterward, Manning was on the defensive while Rae interrogated him about his purpose behind creating the Reform Party in 1987. Rae wanted to clarify their differences in opinion “in case people think we agree on everything-which does far more harm to my reputation than yours,” he began, half-jokingly.

Rae then accused Manning of splitting the Conservatives into two feuding camps with the creation of a new party, thus giving free reign to a Liberal majority government since 1993. “It’s not the power of ideology,” Rae pointed out deflatingly, “it’s the power of numbers.”

Rae also raised the issue of the media’s negative influence on democratic principles, stating that the press is especially incriminated in the “dumbing down process that takes place… and politicians are very reluctant to talk about it because as soon as you talk about it the journalists who are watching you say, ‘You’re just attacking the media because you don’t like what we say about you.'”

Manning also contributed to the media-bashing, accusing the press of exaggerating facts until “the debate becomes between two extremes that nobody is saying, let alone believes in.”

In the ensuing question and answer session with the audience, the issues of handling crime and regional voting were raised. One disgruntled student asked how the youth are expected to engage themselves in politics after “spending four or five years in the anti-democratic and authoritarian” institute of university. Manning offered some sympathy, saying, “I do think that universities could do more to foster democracy.”

Both also stressed the need for Canada to “export democracy abroad.”

“It was a good abstract discussion on the state of Canadian democracy,” said Kashif Pirzada, who is studying Medicine, “although I think their own experience in the political system has embittered them—some of us like the status quo.”

“I would say they both are products of a homegrown Canadian socialism,” said Albert, a visitor to the school, with a hint of pride.