With the political rhetoric storming over the proposed St. Clair West streetcar ROW (right of way), an issue which has faded into the background is the contingent of commuting students who depend on the streetcar service to get to the St. George Campus. The city’s plan is to create streetcar lanes restricted to LRT use west of Bathurst. The end result of the renovation would be similar to the current Spadina line that borders U of T’s St. George campus. The 512 St. Clair streetcar accommodates 32,000 riders a day and is one of the most frequently used streetcar routes in the city. The TTC has made it a point to argue that if the proposal goes through, riders can shave 6 minutes off a 35 minute commute between Yonge and Keele Streets. While the city and the TTC have painted a rosy picture of their project, several merchants and residents in the area have been lobbying tirelessly against it. One influential group, the Business Improvement Association (BIA) of Corso Italia, have argued that it would lead to a plummet of shoppers coming into the “chic” neighborhood. The BIA draws its strength from hundreds of business owners in the area who fear the backlash of the project. Jeff Gillan, Chairman of the BIA, argues that these lanes would only add to congestion along the busy corridor. He feels that if valuable parking space along the road is sacrificed to the streetcar, then tenants “will have to leave and rent out to less desirable tenants”.

While the BIA continues to stand firm in its beliefs, the Toronto Environmental Alliance, a public advocacy group, has tried to show the advantages that such a right of way would have for area residents and merchants alike. Keith Stewart, spokesperson for the TEA, points out that the frequency of streetcar service would improve significantly with the creation of a dedicated right of way. It would continue to use the “same number of cars and serve more people,” he noted. The TEA believes strongly in improving public transit as a means for the TTC to meet is Ridership Growth Strategy. They feel that people will make the transition from car to streetcar if they see an actual benefit to using the system.

As the TEA and BIA lead the pack in fighting over the proposal, students are left wondering what their place is in all of this. Commuting students make up a significant portion of streetcar ridership and therefore have a vested interest in the future of the St. Clair ROW, as St. Clair West could become a model for future streetcar improvements across the city. That is why both sides encourage students to attend public meetings being on Tuesday Oct. 21 at the Brown Community Centre on 454 Avenue Rd. The meetings will begin at 5 p.m. with a presentation by the TTC followed by public comments. A second phase of meetings are being scheduled in the near future.