Why do I call myself a “Dangerous Jew?” I am one of a dying breed; I am a Jew with dangerous beliefs. At least they are dangerous according to those who control the voices of the Canadian Jewish People.

I am a Zionist. Yes, you heard me. I am not afraid to say it, that’s because I know that it does not mean that I am a racist, a word that so many have come to associate with Zionism. I believe in Jewish self-determination. I believe that we need a state of our own. The lessons of the Holocaust taught us that. But I also believe that the Palestinian people also have the right to a state of their own. I believe that every ethnicity has the right to a homeland, if they desire. The Jewish Holocaust was not the only genocide during the last century, far from it. That should tell any reasonable person that everyone needs a homeland.

I went to a rally last fall when Benyamin Netanyahu, the former Israeli prime minister came to speak in North York. I brought the sign that I always bring along to rallies surrounding Israel. It’s blue and white, like the Israeli flag, and on it is written: “We Want Peace.” That’s all.

Upon arrival I realized that the rally was split in two by the police, the Arab side of the barricade, and the Jewish side. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was split up beyond that. All of the Left Wing Jews were on the Arab side as well. Well I didn’t hesitate. I marched right up to the front of the Jewish side and held up my peace sign as high as I could. As I heard the “Lefty’s” on the other side beckoning me over to the other side a Jewish man standing next to me spit in my face and the next thing I knew I was on the ground being stomped by my “brothers.” All because I was expressing my wish for peace in my homeland.

I have been to too many seminars, rallies and meetings of the Jewish community where they tell us above all else to stand together under the Israeli flag, no matter what happens. That is wrong. I support Israel, but not blindly. When Israel is doing something wrong I criticize it. When the Palestinians are doing something wrong I criticize them too. It has become apparent that the right wing on both sides has hijacked this conflict and is leaving a trail of blood and hate behind it. I have different views from them and I will continue to make them known wherever and whenever possible.

Although those who control the Jewish voice in Canada want to silence me, this “Dangerous Jew” is going to keep holding that blue and white sign for peace. This “Dangerous Jew” will keep on making it loud and clear that there are many forms of Zionism and many differing Jewish views on the conflict in the Middle East, and that no matter how dangerous it is to believe, peace is still possible.

Daniel Roth is a second-year student at Woodsworth college, majoring in English and moving into Political Science.