Recent discussions have arisen in regards to the basis, fairness, and accountability of tri-campus relations. Students at U of T’s suburban campuses, Mississauga (UTM) and Scarborough (UTSC), pay student fees that go directly to maintaining U of T’s intercollegiate and intramural sports programs. However, a majority of Varsity Blues training, facilities, and intramural play is stationed on the downtown St. George Campus.

Athletics and recreation on the three campuses have always been administered by the St. George campus’ Faculty of Physical Education and Health (FPEH).But with student populations at UTM and UTSC projected to swell to over 10,000 each in the coming years, the Council of Athletics and Recreation (CAR) has established a Tri-Campus Relations Task Force to revise fee-related athletics issues and ensure opportunity and equity for all U of T students.

With CAR approval, the task force’s main objectives will be to address athletics costs, programs, services, and facilities at U of T. In particular, it will examine intercollegiate sports teams, and whether or not they should work on an autonomous or tri-campus basis. The tri-campus intramural relationships will also be re-assessed, as will the implications for athletics of “trimestering” at UTSC. Lastly, the task force will look at the sticky fees issue, and make appropriate recommendations on the fees paid by UTM and UTSC students to the FPEH.

Though Ken Duncliffe, director of Physical Education, Athletics and Recreation at UTM, stated that it was, “premature and unfair to comment” about the state of affairs in conjunction to the task force, he did mention that he, “was welcome to the review by CAR.”

Jann Laaniste, task force member and director of Phys. Ed and Athletics at UTSC, wants to ensure that his group’s intent is not to be hostile to the situation. “It’s about debating these issues and to re-evaluate something that hasn’t been examined in six to seven years; we want to make sure it is still fair.” He added that “we want to examine the feasibility of athletics [on suburban campuses] and question if it is equitable.” Although Laaniste was not sure what the end result would be, he did mention that he hoped that, “the reduction in fees would go towards a new athletic facility on campus.”