“Alternative therapies”, such as herbal remedies, acupuncture and reflexology, have been used for thousands of years. They have recently surged in popularity as a natural alternative to pharmaceuticals and modern western practices. Although it is believed that women and young people are the biggest users of complimentary medicine, it has now been shown that men are also frequent users of complimentary medicine.

In the past few years, physicians have noticed more and more prostate cancer patients seeking alternative medical treatments. This trend prompted researchers at U of T to investigate how many patients were using complimentary treatments, and the results were surprising. Of the 696 prostate cancer patients selected for the study, about 30 per cent of those patients were using alternative therapies. Professor Heather Boon of U of T’s Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy was a part of this research team.

Even though certain complimentary medical practices are known to help relieve side effects, Professor Heather Boon warns the public to remain skeptical about the effectiveness of the alternative treatments to treat the illness. In some cases, complimentary medicine may even have adverse interactions with medical treatments such as chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and other conventional cancer treatments.

“If I knew that natural remedies would have adverse effects with radiation treatment, then I would not take the remedies,” says 51 year-old Dominic Yip, a man who has used Eastern medicine and herbs throughout his life. However, he will continue to use herbs and natural remedies because he believes that they work because they operate under the principle of balancing the body. Since complimentary medicine is easily accessible, it is clear that people will continue to use it. However, patients are encouraged to consult and inform their physicians before using alternative medicine. Similarly, clinicians should recognize that some patients are likely to be using alternative treatments and should become better informed themselves about these treatments.

This research involved scientists from University of Toronto, Toronto-Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, London Regional Cancer Centre, University Health Network, and University of Western Ontario. It was published in the November issue of the journal Urology.