On a diet? Forget about grabbing a Diet Coke. Next time you’re at your favourite bar, you’ll have the option of ordering a Sleeman Clear or Labatt Sterling, the newest duo to create a storm in the previously calm market of light beers.

These beers are not only different in their sleek, modern packaging, but they also offer an unprecedented 2.5 grams of carbohydrates per bottle compared to the six to nine grams contained in most other light beers in the Canadian market.

According to an August 2003 press release by Sleeman Breweries, Canadians are becoming more health conscious when making dietary choices. Student Ron Hong agrees, complaining that his current favourite beers have “too many calories and there isn’t enough time to workout.” He is one of the many U of T students interviewed that have expressed interest in the new lower calorie beers.

James Suh is one of the few students who, as well as Alexander Keith’s, prefers a light beer every time he goes to a bar. According to James, his favourite light beer “goes down smooth.”

Sleeman Clear entered the light beer market last summer with the promise of being “a remarkably clean, refreshing premium beer.” In addition to containing a minimal amount of carbs, each 341ml bottle of Clear boasts only 90 calories, making it easy for anyone to integrate it into a calorie-counting diet.

Labatt Sterling, released later into 2003, also features the same carbohydrate content but slightly less energy at 88 calories. The average beer contains nearly 150 calories in comparison.

LCBO employee Lois noted that both brands are too new on the store shelves to have their popularity assessed. She remarked that light beers are “quite pleasant because you don’t feel it as much.”

Current light beers on the market all contain four per cent alcohol by volume, contributing to their lighter taste. The four per cent is also the reason for the fewer calories, as according to online health journal, Medicinal Food News.

Before jumping in and deciding that light beer is an offer you cannot resist, consider The Beer Store employee, Mike Solignac’s experience, that “Sleeman Clear tastes like Sprite.” Other students on campus who have tried light beers also contend that the reduced alcohol content led to a more diluted taste.

Unfortunately, due to the newness of Sleeman and Labatt’s offerings, bars around campus that do carry the beers are few. O’Grady’s has yet to stock up but Gabby’s Bar and Grill on Bloor Street has plenty of Sleeman Clear to help you judge if switching to light beer should be next on your resolutions towards a healthier lifestyle.