Police have issued a public warning that a possible sex offender is prowling near the U of T campus in the Bloor and Spadina area.

The white male suspect is described to be in his late 20’s to early 30’s, with short hair, between 5’7″ and 6′ tall with a medium build and sometimes with a goatee. Reports say he has been seen lurking in the streets of Madison and Huron, where many frat houses are located, and looking into the windows of sorority houses. As well, reports say there have been incidents where the male was masturbating in the area.

Detective Dan Ross of 52 Division says at the present time, there have not been cases of sexual assault but he notes that “the suspect seems to be more bold in exposing himself.” He adds, “There was a previous complaint where [the suspect] grabbed a female’s jacket.”

Ross says the Bloor and Spadina area is now under special attention and both uniformed and non-uniformed police officers are frequently patrolling the streets. Ross also advises sororities in the Madison and Huron area to stay alert.

The president of Kappa Kappa Gamma, a sorority located at 32 Madison Ave., is aware of the male suspect and says that security features are in place to ensure safety. On the condition of anonymity, the president said “We have a house alarm and our blinds are always down.”

In the past month, there have been seven to eight similar cases reported and Ross believes it is the same person. “The bottom line is he’s looking for females walking in the streets…so walk with a buddy, stay out of secluded areas, keep your head up and be alert.”