It’s hard to know exactly what to think of Reflect, the annual University of Toronto art show that invites participants to engage in social issues through artistic expression. The show is financially sponsored by the University College Literary and Athletic Society and takes place for two days every January in UC’s East Hall. According to show organizers, the objective is to “provide students with the opportunity to share their thoughts and emotions,” and to inspire the viewer to “reflect upon and think critically about social issues in the community.”

To be honest, it’s hard to think of Reflect as an art show at all. If anything, it read more like the show-and-tell session of an arts and crafts class. It’s a cute idea, to invite “artists” (a debatable title in this context) from all walks of life and levels of talent to express themselves creatively, and to stimulate discussion of important social issues through these artistic endeavors. But I mean “cute” in the same way that one would describe an elementary school Christmas pageant -while there is a complete lack of talent, the attempt is still endearing.

By and large, the works exhibited in the Jan. 28-29 show were cliché, unrefined, predictable, and wholly uninspiring, a mess of juvenile-looking magazine collages and garish acrylic paintings. While there were a few bodies of work that managed to rise above the ashes of Reflect, they were the ones that adhered the least to its well-meaning but trite theme. Artists who took the idea of social awareness a little too much to heart produced works with such facile messages as “Resist: Because you’re worth it” in response to beauty ads, or “Have you had your violence today?” beside an image of a weapon-brandishing Uma Thurman in the film Kill Bill.

The show did, however, achieve its objective of motivating me to reflect on certain issues within the community: I ponder the necessity of investing valuable university funds into a show that stimulates little more than a chuckle at the artist’s expense. Or the looseness of the terms “art” and “artist” when applied to a show such as this. The fact is, ‘social awareness’ is a convention as stale and hackneyed as they come. Combine this theme with the dull creativity of unskilled artists and Reflect is what you get: a mishmashed roomful of unskilled and insipid artwork.

That said, I truly hope that University College never stops funding the show, and that Reflect continues for years to come. Besides providing the venue, they also supply a great refreshment table, a boon to any hungry and financially strapped student. This year, they didn’t disappoint: two platters heaped high with date squares and brownies sat on one table, while a table nearby held a generous cheese tray with three varieties of tasty cheese, fresh melons, strawberries, and various crackers. Coffee and tea were also provided, as well as bottled water and juice. On a snowy January afternoon, there was nothing better than to stop by the East Hall for some free food and drink and a little entertainment.