The Canadian government ratified the Kyoto Protocol in December 2003. In signing this international treaty Canada agreed to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, substances that contribute towards global warming, by either moving towards cleaner energy sources, such as wind power, or reducing emissions through better technology. So what is Canada doing?

Dr. Douglas Macdonald, Program Director of the environmental studies program at U of T, along with Dr. Keith Stewart from the Toronto Environmental Alliance, were the key speakers in the “Now that we’ve ratified, what are we doing to meet out Kyoto commitment?” seminar held last Wednesday, February 11.

The objective of the Kyoto Protocol according to Dr. Macdonald is “the reduction of 240 megatons” of emissions in Canada by 2010. Policies that are currently in place would only account for 180 of 240 megatons of emissions. The remaining 60 megatons, called the “magic number” by Dr. Macdonald, needs to be dealt with.

A solution for the 60 megatons mentioned by Dr. Stewart involves “the provincial government phasing out coal” burning plants in Ontario by 2007. The Ontario government is trying to work out a deal with the federal government to help it do this. And according to Dr. Stewart this would account for two thirds of the 60 megatons.

Dr. Stewart said “the debate on Kyoto was probably the most significant national debate we’ve ever had on our environmental issue [in Canada].”

The chief problem that has arose was that the federal government was to ensure that industry co-operates with Kyoto. This caused many provinces, “particularly Alberta” Dr. Macdonald notes, to express concerns on how much its industry, mainly petroleum producers, contribute to emissions reductions.

According to Dr. Stewart the Canadian government has now moved towards making individual deals with the provinces. Dr. Macdonald believes that the provinces should have been the ones responsible for making sure emissions are reduced. He feels that “you can’t achieve [Kyoto targets] without the provinces-the provinces have to be brought back in.” Dr. Stewart on the other hand feels that industry should “keep getting kicks in the right direction.”

Dr. Stewart emphasizes that the Kyoto Protocol “recognizes that voluntarism was not working on climate change…we actually have to bring in regulatory and other measures.” However, there was no mention of the types of regulatory measures that should be undertaken.