Consider having part of your anatomy removed to prevent the possibility of developing cancer in that area. Many women with a family history of breast cancer choose what appears to be a drastic option: preventative double mastectomy. Yet most “high-risk” women who have undergone surgery are satisfied with their choice, and experience minimal physical or psychological distress over their decision to have both breasts removed, “just in case.”

U of T professors Kelly Metcalfe, Vivek Goel, Steven Narod, and Mary Jane Esplen surveyed 60 women from across Ontario who had had preventative double mastectomies. They published their findings in the January 2004 issue of Psycho-Oncology. They found that 97 per cent of the women were pleased with their surgery, although the younger ones (less than 50 years old) were somewhat less satisfied than the older patients. Those with a strong family history of breast cancer were most likely to experience distress. Two thirds of the women said the preventative surgery did not have an impact on their sexual functioning. About one third even reported an improved self-image after the surgery. Those who had breast reconstruction surgery had higher levels of satisfaction with general body image.

Overall, according to Dr. Metcalfe, those women who had opted for preventative double mastectomy were pleased with their decision and did not suffer psychologically.

Although only five to ten per cent of women who develop breast cancer possess the gene predisposing them to the disease, 80 per cent of those who have the gene will go on to develop the disease. Catherine Meckus is the communications assistant at the Ontario Chapter of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, which provided funding for the study. The organization raises funds and allocates them to breast cancer research, research awareness and early diagnosis programs, and assistance/support programs. One of these invovles collaborating with “Foodshare” to provide fresh, organic fruits, vegetables, and semi-prepared meals to breast cancer patients. Physically depleted by chemotherapy, these women are often too exhausted to shop for or cook healthy meals for themselves.

Meckus explains that high-risk women, those with a family history of breast cancer, usually undergo genetic counseling to determine if they are carrying a potentially deadly gene. “Even though not all women found carrying the gene will develop breast cancer, 80 per cent chances are odds many do not want to live with. So they take steps to prevent cancer from ever appearing.”

Although Dr. Metcalfe confirmed that the study did not elaborate on the support systems of satisfied women which may have factored into positive results, she states the findings “are very encouraging” and bode well for those forced to make a difficult decision.