Hundreds of clubs crowded around Hart House Circle and King’s College Circle on Tuesday to try and snag new recruits from the thousands of new students who came to find the right group for them.

With little money to spare after shelling out huge sums on tuition and books, students eagerly accepted freebies that included everything from pens and candy to complimentary hair-dyeing. Students like Julia Apps Douglas, who wanted to start the year with an exciting new look, were able to try out trendy new hair colours at the makeshift hair salon sponsored by L’Oreal. The freewheeling spirit of the event was evident since Douglas was able to watch some breakdancers perform at the booth next door, the Hip-Hop Headz, while she got her hair dyed.

Clubs ranging from the Armenian Students’ Association (A.S.A.) to the U of T Gospel Choir did their best to attract the seemingly overwhelmed frosh. Some frosh seemed bewildered by the options: how to choose between the Banting and Best Club and the Debating Club? The variety of clubs and organizations seemed to cater to everyone’s interests, but even for those who knew what they wanted to do, there were still decisions to make.

“There’s so many clubs to choose from,” one first year said, “I just want to dance but I can’t decide between the Thundersquad or the U of T Dance Club. There are just so many choices!”

Despite the high level of enthusiasm, upper year students were quick to admit that other commitments often take the place of involvement in extracurricular activities. The recruitment may seem strong in September but all too often, as second-year Daniel Rosario explained, “membership usually lasts a week due to other responsibilities…though it is a good way to become involved.”

For those with a more intellectual or activist bent, clubs like the U of T Health Program were there to inform and get people involved in pressing health issues such as AIDS. Second-year Med student Melanie Campbell enthusiastically explained the various activities carried out by the club, including scholarship programs, fundraising events and the upcoming AIDS walk on September 19.

Athletes were also able to take their pick from clubs like the New College Dragonboat Team and the Varsity Blues Cheerleading Team. Students seeking to broaden their social circles were presented with a row of sororities and fraternities to visit. As Yvonne Vales, an executive member of Sororities at U of T explained, “Clubs day is always one of our biggest sign-up days.” And fraternity members like Francis Tong promoted his fraternity, Sigma Pi, by countering the common misperception that frats are all about partying.

“We’re a very intellectual fraternity,” he said.

Obviously the Clubs Carnival wouldn’t be complete without a little politics.

Contemporary issues such as the controversial upcoming US election were addressed by groups such as the U of T Democrats. Button distribution for the Kerry campaign was brisk.

Most frosh seemed to appreciate the opportunity to find out what the large downtown campus had to offer. One student spoke for the majority interviewed when she simply concluded, “Clubs Carnival is a good way to get involved at U of T.”