University of Toronto professor Aaron Hertzmann was named one of the top 100 innovators under the age of 35 this week.

In the October 2004 edition of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Technology Review, Hertzmann, along with the rest of the 100 honourees, is described as someone “who [is] transforming technology-and the world.” This list, the fourth to be published annually by the magazine, was selected from about 600 nominees from around the world. The list includes people from a wide range of academic backgrounds but includes “leading academic researchers, entrepreneurs, social advocates for technology and even experts in high-tech entertainment.”

Hertzmann, currently teaching courses at the Department of Computer Sciences, was chosen by the magazine for his work with computer graphics technology. He develops programs that “combine computer graphics and machine learning” to transform art. For instance, some of this technology can be used to take paintings or photographs and make it seem as though they are pastel drawings or oil paintings. So far, the programs have been used on works by artists such as Van Gogh and Manet.

In addition, he designs programs that “use learning techniques to learn how people move” in order to make the motions of characters in movies and videos more realistic. In other words, the computer is given examples of how humans naturally move so that it can then simulate these movements to create human-like animated characters on screen. The technology can also create images that are too tedious and time consuming to draw by hand, shortening the time required to produce animated films. This aspect of his project, which he started working on in the spring of 2002, has just recently been completed.

Hertzmann says that what attracted him to come to the University of Toronto in the first place was that the University has a strong computer sciences department and “[these] strengths in computer learning…were a huge factor.”

When asked how he feels about making the list, Hertzmann modestly states that he’s “pleased” and jokingly adds that one can “never turn down publicity.”

As for what Hertzmann wants to accomplish through developing these programs, he explains that he hopes to make “the process of making movies and video games more expressive.” Furthermore, he considers what potential may lay in the future for his research. For example, he wonders “what happens when you make a movie that feels like it was painted by Van Gogh.”

However, Hertzmann added that such advanced technology requires plenty of resources. For instance, it currently takes a lot of money and a large studio space to create movies using computer animation. He hopes that his technology can help independent film-makers get similar results on a smaller budget and in a shorter timeframe.

A ceremony for the honourees will be held in at MIT in Boston at the end of this month. Hertzmann plans to attend.