Astronomy enthusiasts were treated to a “tour of the universe” this past Sunday when Terence Dickinson, well-known Canadian science writer, spoke to a packed audience of both young and old, experts and amateurs, at the Kaneff Centre at U of T at Mississauga. Dickinson has been recognized for his achievements in popularizing science with the Order of Canada, and has had Asteroid 5272 officially named after him. He is the editor of SkyNews, Canada’s national astronomy magazine, and is the author of 14 books, selling over one million copies in three languages.

“Terrence Dickinson is known throughout the world for communicating the excitement and significance of modern astronomy,” notes John Percy, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at UTM.

Dickinson led the audience through a visual tour of the planets, constellations and galaxies, explaining the architecture of the universe and revealing its intricate beauty with his own pictures.

Dickinson has demonstrated that astronomy is accessible to anyone interested in learning about it. One of the recurring themes of the lecture was the idea of “backyard astronomy.” Dickinson explained that all one really needs is “a pair of binoculars, warm clothes for chilly nights, and preferably a backyard out in the country-side” where stars are less obscured by outdoor lights.

“Simple astrophotography is at the heart of the hobby of astronomy,” he said, adding that catching a “beautiful picture is sort of like the prize catch in fishing.” Having the advantages of living near Kingston, far from big city lights, and having a fully equipped observatory steps from his house, Dickinson has made his own contributions to the art of astrophotography. His pictures have appeared in publications worldwide, including Australian Geographic and Reader’s Digest.

Dickinson concluded his lecture with an interactive demonstration of the solar system. Using three young members of the audience to represent the planets and stars, he tried to give the audience a perspective on the immense distances that lie between celestial bodies. “Few people grasp the size and dimensions of the universe…which is why warp nine and Scotty are all necessary [to help us understand],” explained Dickinson to a chorus of laughter.