The next time you decide to listen to music for a long period of time, be aware of the volume. A recent study, conducted by Alberto Behar, Hans Kunov, and Willy Wong from U of T’s faculty of engineering, revealed that music teachers are routinely exposed to noise levels that can lead to permanent hearing loss.

The risk of hearing loss has received widespread publicity since the advent of modern-day grandiose rock concerts, where music and loud became synonymous. In the 1960s and 70s legendary British rock group The Who revolutionized rock ‘n’ roll by playing at unprecedented volumes for periods of up to four hours. Some concerts were reported to reach volume levels greater than 140 decibels, the level of noise generated by a jet engine. The shows were considered so loud that The Who was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the loudest rock band in the world.

Unlike with eyesight, technology and surgical procedures have not been able to effectively restore hearing. Although many people experience a temporary ringing or buzzing sensation after a loud activity some people, diagnosed with the irreversible and potentially incapacitating condition known as tinnitus, experience these symptons permanently, with limited options to deal with the on-going discomfort.

Tinnitus can begin at any age and is predominantly caused by noise-induced hearing loss such as an explosion or exposure to excessive sound levels over a long period of time. According to the Hearing Foundation of Canada (HFC), it can also be caused by a head injury, whiplash, medications, or physical or emotional trauma. Pete Townshend, guitarist for The Who, is reported to have lost nearly all his hearing and permanently suffers from ringing in both his ears.

Just how prevalent are hearing-related issues in Canada? According to the HFC, noise is the biggest cause of permanent disability claims settled by the Worker’s Compensation Board in Ontario. In fact, nearly 360,000 Canadians, or about 1 in 90, experience some degree of ringing, roaring, whistling, buzzing, hissing, chirping, or clicking.

For music teachers this raises issues that concern not only their livelihood, but also the risk of permanent deafness. According to Wong, schools need to consider proactive measures such as sound baffling and carpeting the rooms, and teachers should strongly think about wearing protective earplugs. Members of rock band Metallica, considered to be one of the loudest bands in the world today, understand the importance of hearing with respect to their careers. Each member wears earplugs during live performances.