Jimmy Eat World singer Jim Adkins possesses the stage presence of an awkward, newly-pubescent 13-year-old boy. However, it is that precise ‘aw-shucks’ demeanor that provides the group with much of their appeal. No laser light show or dramatic video montage welcomed the band onstage last Friday night at the Kool Haus. The always angst-filled quartet simply walked onstage and allowed their instruments to do the talking.

Opening with the bang that is “Bleed American,” the Arizona emo poster boys maintained the momentum, jumping right into “The Authority Song.” The frantic pace and high energy continued to flow between crowd and band as they ripped into material from their new album. The politically-tinged title track “Futures” and fist-pumping “Nothing Wrong” kept the crowd moving and Adkins’ hair flailing.

However, the second half of the show provided less oomph and more mope. Although melodically beautiful, the fusing together of new songs “Drugs or Me” and “The World You Love” provided anything but a nuclear reaction. Instead of releasing energy, this combo drained nearly all the energy from the capacity crowd of nearly 10,000.

Technical problems flogged introspective new song “Kill”-halfway through the number, Adkins had to switch amps and looked like an overwhelmed youngster at a high school battle of the bands.

A few high points did arise during the second half of the show, however. Crowd favourite “No Sensitivity” pleased old-school die-hards and the nostalgic “Work” sent more recent fans home happy.

The encore brought both sides together and generated the type of energy one hopes for at a concert. Returning to the stage with current single “Pain,” Adkins appeared to emerge from his reluctant shell. As he stepped forward to the edge of the stage for the song’s screeching solo, the electricity flowed between band and crowd. The charge carried over to closing song “Sweetness.” The background vocals were provided by the now raucous crowd, filling in the void left by guitarist Tom Linton, who neglected his singing duties.

Jimmy Eat World presented a bare-essentials rock and roll concert. Their shy, awkward approach to rock stardom caused them to look more like a college bar band than a platinum-selling one. However, this timidity and vulnerability provides the group with much of their appeal and reinforces their quintessentially emo categorization.