The Hart House Debating Society sparred over whether or not artists should stay out of politics last week. The debate was conducted in formal parliamentary style-all the debaters wore black gowns and addressed their comments through the Speaker of the House-before an audience of 65 people.

The audience decided 62-3 to defeat the resolution that artists should stay out of politics. Guest speaker Jim Cuddy, singer/songwriter for Blue Rodeo, sealed the deal when he spoke out at the conclusion of the discussion in favor of unfettered artistic expression. The debate was filled with references to the recent American presidential election, in which celebrities lined up to endorse candidates.

James Ranihan and Michael Kotrly argued in favor of the resolution on several grounds: first, that it degrades democracy, and second, that it debases art. Rennihan, speaking at a rapid fire pace, strove to make a distinction between art that addresses political issues, which he supported, and art which specifically endorses a political party or candidate, which he did not.

Joanna Langille, debating for the other side, criticized this position. “There’s no difference between Bono lobbying governments for Africa and Bruce Springstein endorsing John Kerry.” She concluded, “Art is better if its critical, if it’s political.”

Kotrly, a law student, argued that if artists get involved in politics, the political process would be harmed. “If we want politics to be about dialogue and debate, then it is not helpful for artists to use their celebrity influence to simply tell people to hate [US President] Bush rather than engaging in thoughtful debate,” said Kotrly.

Ian Freeman, a UC student, continued to attack the distinction between the political and the partisan. “Marxist art is one of the most successful types of art of all time; it wasn’t successful because it said ‘we like Marxism,’ but rather but it addressed specific conditions in Russia,” said Freeman. “Bono’s views on Africa are just as legitimate as any pundit on CNN.”

Cuddy spoke broadly in favor of free expression in his comments. “Artists have to be allowed to express whatever they want, that’s what gives art its vitality,” said Cuddy. “In all my touring, I’m also surprised about just how independent people’s thinking is. It would be really difficult to enforce any sort of restriction,” said Cuddy.