U of T will be hosting its second annual Sustainable Energy Fair this Wednesday, March 30 from 11:00am to 6:00pm along King’s College Road. The day-long event will feature more than 30 interactive booths and displays from an assortment of student groups, leading academics and alternative energy companies from across North America.

The event will be co-hosted by the Energy Sustainability Community, Students of Science for Peace, and Engineers Without Borders. According to fourth-year political science student and event Public Relations Chair Vanessa Meadu, the diversity in the organizing committee ensures that a broad array of academics, eco-activists and technological innovators will be brought together to share ideas about sustainability and the future of energy generation.

As Meadu explains, “the goal of the fair is to create awareness and promote sustainable energy. We want people to think about where energy comes from when they turn on the lights or sit in their car while idling.”

Some of the expected highlights this year include demonstration booths by WindShare and True North Power, organizations that have played significant roles in the development and promotion of wind energy in North America. WindShare will describe their windmill project on the grounds of the CNE, and True North Power will have a working windmill to demonstrate how electricity is actually generated. Other sustainable energy technologies showcased this year include solar, geothermal, hydrogen, and alternative fuels such as biodiesel.

Local academic participation will feature various alternative energy displays from U of T faculty, students and U of T’s Mississauga Centre for Emerging Energy Technologies. The University of British Columbia, Lakehead and Berea College in Kentucky have also been invited to participate. Berea was selected by the Sustainable Energy Fair organizing committee from an open call to universities across North America to submit creative insights on sustainable energy.

At 12:30pm the fair will feature short speeches by the Honourable David Ramsay, the Ontario Minister of Natural Resources, the Honourable Joseph Cordiano, Minister of Economic Development and Trade, Donna Cansfield, Parliamentary Assistant to the Ontario Minister of Energy, and Professor Beth Savan, Director of U of T’s Sustainability Office. All speakers are expected to share their views on sustainable energy and the role of academic research to support innovation.

A symposium on sustainable energy technology will take place in the Medical Sciences Building. Student presentations and expert panel discussions will be held throughout the day, with official opening speeches by the Dean of Engineering, Professor Venetsanopoulos and the Deputy Minister of Energy, James Gillis.

Keeping in line with the sustainability theme, and to satisfy hungry on-lookers, free veggie burgers will be cooked using a solar-powered grill. Coffee drinkers are advised to please “lug a mug” to minimize the need for disposable cups. In the event of rain, the event will be held indoors in the Medical Sciences Building. Further information and volunteer opportunities can be found at http://sef.sa.utoronto.ca.