Is there a blue moon in the sky?

SAC President Paul Bretscher announced last week that the executive has kept all five of its central campaign promises-a far cry from the overspending scandals that have plagued the organization in the past few years.

The Progress Contract with Students promised-and has now delivered-a deficit-free SAC orientation, more TTC Metropass sales locations, secure twenty-four-hour ROSI access, a 50 per cent increase to the clubs budget, and the return of all UTM dollars to the Mississauga campus.

The Progress ticket, which included Bretscher, VP Operations Monique Ferdinand, VP University Affairs Estefania Toledo, VP External Jen Hassum, VP Equity Shalia Kibria, and VP UTM Walied Khogali, pledged to return 5 per cent of their combined salaries if they did not meet their goals.

“Today I am pleased to state that our collective objectives have been realized, quite simply, five promises made, five promises kept,” said Bretscher in a September 26 open letter to the 40,000 undergraduates represented by SAC.

Toledo stated that the most difficult promise was the pledge to organize a deficit-free SAC orientation.

“The Progress executives met the challenge by undertaking new initiatives, such as the hiring of two orientation coordinators and implementing a new standing committee to oversee orientation and ensure responsible expenditures.” During the past two years, SAC executives mismanaged over $300,000 in student levies through such initiatives as a campus-wide Canada’s Wonderland trip and golf carts for the SAC parade.

“The best part of orientation this year is that it was under budget,” said Bretscher.

The discounted TTC metropass, widely praised as one of SAC’s most helpful innovations at U of T, is now sold in six locations. Hassum is pleased that the newest Victoria College location makes the program more accessible to students who study east of Queen’s Park.

“This location is a great convenience to our members to take courses at the Victoria and St. Michael’s Colleges.” U of T administration has pledged to SAC that it will improve ROSI in time for the 2006-2007 academic year.

“The University has committed to delivery of 24 hour ROSI access including course enrollment wait lists,” said Toledo. The wait lists will benefit the many students who seek to switch courses in September.

“Our student union’s allocation of resources reflected in our operating budget is a true indication of how we have increased club funding by 50 per cent and returned all UTM dollars back to UTM,” explained Ferdinand. The funds returned to UTM contributed to the development of a new childminding service at Erindale.

Kibria has spearheaded a SAC campaign to diversify the curriculum in Mississauga, resulting in the first African studies classes on the satellite campus.

Bretscher said he is pleased with the fulfillment of the Contract to Students, and will continue to find ways to improve the undergraduate experience. SAC said their two priorities for the remainder of the academic year are the campaign to maintain the tuition freeze in Ontario and continuing efforts to strengthen campus clubs and student life at U of T.