I’m sure you’ve heard it all before. The preseason is meaningless. Preseason games don’t count. This player is on fire, but it’s ONLY the preseason.

These types of references go on and on, making one believe that these exhibitions of our favourite sports are merely that: exhibitions, games with nothing at stake, glorified practices.

But is there really that much of a difference between the preseason and regular season? The media sure seems to think so. Preseason games get half the amount of media coverage as regular season games and seldom make it onto television schedules. And when games are shown, the emphasis seems to be placed on who isn’t playing rather than who is.

But is that the right approach to take regarding the preseason? Being a self-admitted skeptic, I decided to head down to the annual Marion Hilliard Tournament and find out for myself.

The Hilliard tourney is the women’s hockey team’s annual tune-up event against some of the best squads in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), and features a series of friendly matches with no playoff format and no overtime (and thankfully, no shootouts). One could assume that with so little at stake, the game play would suffer as a consequence, but it was evident to me and all those watching over the weekend that that was just not the case.

Over the course of three Varsity Blues games, I saw players stretching out to block shots, crashing into the corners, and erupting in cheers for every goal and every nice save.

What I didn’t see was a group of players simply going through the motions like there was nothing on the line. Granted, the passes could have have crisper and the positioning better, but it was clear to me that the level of effort was undoubtedly high.

These sentiments were echoed by newly anointed Blues captain Kim Devereaux who, while icing down both her ankles, agreed that hard work and effort are certainly a part of the preseason: “The speed of play is definitely up there, it’s just that the play isn’t as disciplined because the systems aren’t developed yet. It’s a little sloppier overall.”

Despite that fact, Devereaux was quick to point out the importance of the preseason: “The preseason may be more important for younger players, but it’s also important for older players to get back into their routines as well. It is hugely important.”

So why the stigmatization and overall public indifference to the preseason? Is there that big a difference in mentality between the professional and the university ranks?

I would tend to think not. The same things are happening in the preseason no matter what level of sport one is involved in. There is intense competition for starting jobs and roster spots, which, for the pros, can mean the difference between a job and the unemployment line.

Teams are trying out new combinations, new plays, and new strategies that will be used again when the regular season comes around. Players are playing for the first time with new teammates and trying out at new positions.

Despite all these positives, there still exists an overall malaise when discussing the preseason, one that in my opinion stems from a preoccupation with seeing ‘the best.’ Fans don’t want to see miscues or watch players they don’t know; audiences want to see the stars they recognize perform at the absolute highest level.

The media do their part by downplaying the preseason, which serves as a tool to hype their regular season and playoff coverage as superior quality.

But it’s important to see the preseason for what it is. There is no question that preseason games are, first and foremost, preparations for the grind of the long season ahead and may not have the star power or overall calibre of play one might wish to see. If you’re a true fan of sport, though, you’ll recognize that just because it’s the preseason doesn’t mean there aren’t two teams on a field or sheet of ice playing a game they love with all they have.

Just be thankful there’s a preseason when you’re enjoying the high level of intense play you’re accustomed to on opening night. Without the ‘meaningless preseason,’ I have a feeling you may end up slightly disappointed.