In a marketplace seemingly dominated by 50 Cent and The Pussycat Dolls, new discs by veteran singer-songwriters Fiona Apple, Sheryl Crow, and Liz Phair come as a refreshing change of pace.

Fiona Apple’s long-awaited third album Extraordinary Machine (Epic) is as close to perfect an album 2005 has seen. After alleged disputes with her record label, switching producers, and the attention-getting “Free Fiona” campaign launched by fans awaiting the much-delayed disc, Machine has finally hit stores and given Apple the highest chart debut of her career.

Her flawless lyricism is as sharp as ever on first single “Parting Gift.” Apple is one of only a few artists who are able to express anger, sympathy, desire, and regret all in one track. The album seems surprisingly radio-friendly, with rhythmic tracks like “Get Him Back” and “Window” serving as two potential future singles. With an effort this strong, let’s hope that fans and Grammy voters alike don’t forget about this incredible piece of Machine-ry.

While Apple has remained fairly constant in her smoky, rich sound over the years, Liz Phair shocked fans with her self-titled last album (that included hit singles “Why Can’t I?” and “Extraordinary”) due to the drastic change in sound from Exile In Guyville, the album that first made her famous for her revealing, stark sound and candid lyrics.

With Somebody’s Miracle, current GAP model Phair has crafted an album that will cater to both old and new fans. Elements of the overly slick pop production of her last album are present, but the songs are more melodic-tracks like “Table For One” and “Why I Lie” sound like the old Phair that many fans have missed.

Sheryl Crow’s back after the successes of both her greatest hits album and her ‘California pop’ record C’mon C’mon with a drastically different sound on Wildflower. Eleven tracks of moody, adult-contemporary light rock work well enough as a sort of concept album, but nothing really stands out as a highlight. Crow’s amazing vocals and gritty guitar work are still there, but this is not an album that you need to rush out to get. It will probably be spinning at your corner Starbucks all winter long anyway.