Last year, Students for World Justice (SWJ), a subcommittee of U of T’s Muslim Students’ Association, raised $36,000 to sponsor orphaned children around the world. Most impressive, though, is that they raised that amount in only one month-the holy month of Ramadan.

Donation boxes in hand, SWJ has been raising funds on campus for the orphans, often dollar by dollar. But though the group’s means are modest, its results have been anything but.

The effort, which began as an informal project by Farhan Asrar, now the head coordinator of the program, has grown exponentially over its three-year run. Starting with seven orphans in its first year, the program now sponsors 88-and counting.

“Our goal is to maintain and manage the number we have, then expand,” Asrar said. For the current drive that’s now under way (that will continue even after Ramadan ends with the Eid-ul-Fitr celebration this week), the group has its sights set on raising enough money to sponsor 120 orphans.

But ultimately, the future of the drive is in the hands of its donors. Students from the MSA, Asrar explained, make up the bulk of the donor pool and generally donate during iftars, meals that break the fast each evening during Ramadan. These free meals, hosted on campus by the MSA, present an excellent opportunity to get word out about the sponsorship program and to raise funds. Coordinators like Asrar move among the tables, donation boxes in hand, explaining the cause and collecting money.

“Even if someone gives one dollar-every little bit helps,” Asrar said. [In making] donations-be they large or small-we are doing something positive.”

Ramadan itself plays a major part in the fundraising effort. Islam’s holy month is a time of particular obedience to God, when community support among Muslims is especially encouraged. In that spirit, SWJ calls on its fellow Muslims to help those in need around the world.

But though religion plays a central role in the fundraising effort, the group does not sponsor Muslims exclusively; SWJ’s goal is simply to help out those in need, regardless of religion or race. By the same token, non-Muslims at U of T are welcome to donate.

The money raised provides food, shelter, and education for the orphans, who live in 13 different countries worldwide, including Sierra Leone, Pakistan, India, Kashmir, Bosnia, Somalia, and Kenya. The SWJ is able to stay updated on their sponsorships through the letters and pictures they receive from the orphans.

One letter from a young boy reads: “I have diabetes and I use insulin. I would like to have my own home and my own room. I would like to thank you for your donation which is very helpful to me. I hope Allah will give you everything the best in your life.” Another details the life of a young boy from Sierra Leone whose father was killed by rebels. In Bosnia, Dzonlic, who is anemic and diabetic, cannot return home because her house has been destroyed.

Nuzhat Khurshid, external coordinator for the program, feels that U of T students are in a unique position to help these and other orphans.

“I think it’s especially important for students here to participate in this program because, sitting in a world-class institution where we have the privilege of learning about the conditions in other parts of the world, we have an obligation to help in whatever way we can,” she said.

To donate or to get involved in the orphan sponsorship program, visit http://muslim.sa.utoronto.ca or call 416-946-7788. Donations will be accepted even after Ramadan ends this week.