This week, I discovered a seemingly secret society of art lovers who have managed to create a serene and welcoming atmosphere in the heart of campus. This past Monday, members of the Art Centre Student’s Association (ACSA, which is comprised of U of T students from various academic backgrounds) orchestrated an open house at the University of Toronto Art Centre (which, if you didn’t even know we had one, is at 15 King’s College Circle, on the main floor of the Laidlaw wing).

Those who attended the event were treated to a performance by the Varsity Brass band, followed by an open house with an opportunity to meet with members of ACSA and tour the gallery. Over a delicious luncheon, ACSA president Elizabeth Yeboah and other members of the group filled visitors in about their organization and the widely overlooked Art Centre gallery.

The ACSA strives to connect the Art Centre with the U of T community and make it more accessible to students with an interest in art. They do this by planning events that complement current programs and exhibits at the Art Centre as well as coordinating recreational activities for students with an interest in art.

Recent endeavours have included a culturally-oriented Reading Week trip to New York City, career workshops for students taking Fine Art and Fine Art History, and trips to cultural institutions within the campus and throughout the city.

The ACSA encourages students of all disciplines to become involved and experience what the Art Centre has to offer. Members can volunteer at the gallery as well as access the community of art lovers that exists within the Centre.

This sense of community was on display during an intimate tour of “The Art of Structural Design: A Swiss Legacy,” an exhibit which explores the work of four Swiss engineers and their influence as the premier structural designers of the 20th century.

Permanent collections at the Art Centre feature various antiquities as part of the Malcove Collection and works by the Group of Seven. Particularly intriguing are their collections of pieces of medieval furniture and beautifully gilded Coptic icons.

ACSA hopes more students will take advantage of this artistic jewel hidden in the campus crown by browsing the gallery and attending their upcoming events. Next Friday, ACSA is hosting a Date Night at the gallery featuring a jazz concert, gallery tours, and even a wine and cheese spread. Bring a date, or meet one there!

Admission to the Art Centre is free for all U of T students.
For more information about ACSA and their meetings, e-mail [email protected]