In theory, if you are a Canadian citizen, have turned 18 by January 23, and you have received a voter information card in the mail in the district you want to vote in, you’re all set to show up on election day and cast your vote.

For most students, however, it’s not that simple.

Students who move away for university can choose to vote either at home or the place they live during the school year.

If you choose to vote where you live during the year (whether that is in residence or off campus) you will likely have to register. You can register on election day at your poll, or ahead of time at your local returning office. (Find your nearest poll or returning office at www.elections.ca.) To register, you will need something that proves your identity, such as a driver’s licence, and something else that proves your place of residence, such as a utility bill with your name on it.

SAC has negotiated special arrangements for some U of T students living in residence. On January 15-17, there will be stations in the lobby or cafeteria associated with residences at Woodsworth, Innis, University, and New College, as well as Graduate House and 89 Chestnut, where residence students can both register and vote. Elections Canada has not clarified whether students can choose to register on those days and then vote normally on the actual day of the election, but every residence student will receive a letter from SAC with all of the details relevant to them. To register in residence you will need identification as above, but a ROSI printout showing that you paid residence fees can substitute for a utility bill.

If you would rather vote at your permanent residence and will not be there on election day, you need to vote by special ballot. Special ballots have to be applied for, in person at any returning office or by filling out a form from the Elections Canada website and mailing or faxing it to Ottawa by January 17. Once you have your special ballot, follow the instructions on it and mail it back to Ottawa, where it must arrive by January 23.