A provisional contract agreement for 3,500 teaching assistants was struck late last Sunday night after more than a week of bargaining.

“After a long day, we came to a tentative settlement and we will be bringing that forward to the consideration of the [union] membership on February 7,” said Anil Varughese, chief spokesperson for CUPE 3902, the union representing the TAs.

“We are pleased with the negotiated agreement,” said professor Angela Hillyard, vice-president of human resources and equity to a U of T news service. “We believe it is responsive to the issues brought forward by the union and the university.”

Both the university and the union have agreed not to disclose details of the agreement until after it has been seen by the union members.

“We want the membership to see what is and what is not in the new contract and have them make the decision for themselves as to whether it is good or bad.”

Varughese went on to say that the TAs in the union will, by a majority vote, decide whether or not they’ll ratify the new contract.

“During a ratification vote, polling stations will be placed around campus, like the strike vote, and on February 10 the votes will be counted.”

Varughese said that if the contract is not accepted, it does not mean a strike will occur, nor does it necessarily mean going back to the bargaining table for a new agreement.

The Varsity contacted the human resources department at the university for comment, but calls were not returned.

Teaching assistants have been without a contract since last April and have been negotiating with the university since July. In December, TAs voted to give their bargaining team a strike mandate, leaving the option for labour disruption available if negotiations collapse.