I love to talk and be heard… but there are limits to narcissism.

In a university environment, where we pay for every moment in campus buildings, students want class time to be for the lecturer to lecture. This is why students go to lectures. This is also why lectures are not called “class discussions.” But, despite this fact, it seems that every class has at least one person in it who loves to hear him or herself talk, and constantly fills up the precious lecture moments to the detriment of the entire class.

There are usually a few tactics students use to dominate class time, whether intentionally or not. Often students raise their hand to get acknowledged by the lecturer, and once he or she has the floor, they are reluctant to give it up. They may even use this time to recount personal events that have no bearing on the class discussion and that are not appreciated by the class, or they may try and demonstrate their intelligence to the class to establish themselves in a knowledgeable role for the class to recognize.

First, there are the unnecessary questions. Some students seem to know very well what the answer is to the question they seem to be posing, but ask it anyway. They tend to begin the “question” by stating some facts or opinions and then asking the question they obviously already know the answer to. Everyone in the class may understand this, but the teacher often humours the student just in case it is genuine. This could also take the related form of genuine question that is preceded by an unnecessary and long-winded introduction.

The other tactic is a question that is not a question at all. Usually they begin with, “Isn’t it true that…” followed by the student’s remarks. This is more of an assertion followed by a question mark than a question. The professor can only answer true or false, or provide some commentary on the disguised assertion. There is also the case where no question mark or question-indicating words are used but the student raises his pitch at the end of the last sentence, to give us the cue that a question is being asked.

Students should feel free to ask questions when they have legitimate concerns over the extent of their knowledge as applied to the class they are taking, and teachers should give acceptable answers. But there are appropriate and inappropriate times to ask even good questions. Some questions are better left to ask in person during a break or after class, if they are not relevant to other students. Some should wait until the teacher asks if there are questions.

The problem with the constant questioners is that class time is already overloaded and rushed. And yet, some individuals take extremely disproportionate time to indulge in their own issues. Less assertive students consequently lose out on the clarity an uninterrupted lecture would bestow, and all students are held captive by the queries of a peer who they may not want to listen to.

It is true that the person put in the position to instruct the class is not always right, and maybe not even the most qualified, but they usually are. In any case, students expect their class time to be used by the teacher to teach, not for students to do so. Students who seriously want to help people understand the course material should organize tutoring sessions amongst themselves for the class. Or at least they can stand on their soapbox outside of class.

I do appreciate keen students pointing out serious mistakes that would lead to confusion. I do not appreciate the arrogance of some students who believe that they ought to be the focus of attention for the class.