Old City Hall at Bay and Queen Streets is 107 years old. It was where Toronto’s City Council met until 1965. It is home to a monument recognizing the sacrifices of two world wars. And now, host to a bubble battle, as about 100 people met on its steps on July 2, brought out by an internet-driven movement aimed at reclaiming public space.

The skirmish was put on by U of T students Lori Kufner and Kevin Bracken through their website, www.newmindspace.com. Bracken, a political science student, and Kufner, studying sociology and anthropology, are also responsible for organizing a pillow fight at Dundas Square, and a 500-person game of capture the flag at U of T in 2005. Kufner and Bracken said they are also motivated by their “need to not only spread the love, but to invent new ways of having fun.”

A buoyant time was had by many of the bubbly revelers – clear from the laughter and screams coming from the event which (along with a mass of bubbles) drew curious pedestrians off Queen Street West.

The battle bore no serious casualties and floating bubbles abounded for hours – to the detriment of The Varsity’s cameras. “It was lots of fun, very soapy,” said Bracken, adding that he was happy with the turnout, which almost had an equal ratio of photographers to bubble-blowers.

Future games being pondered by the couple include a water gun fight at Nathan Phillips Square and a huge dodge-ball game involving Yoga balls.

var uslideshowid = “21776e87-580c-44b5-9604-704d344d91ef”;var slideshowwidth = “468”;var linktext = “”;