In politics, the term “revolving door” refers to the seemingly seamless movement of public servants and corporate honchos between top jobs in the public and private sectors. Here are two recent personnel moves that bring this metaphor to mind.

Name: Judith Wolfson
Latest Gig: Wolfson has been appointed as U of T’s Vice-President (university relations). In her newly-minted position, she will be responsible for “building and maintaining constructive relationships” with the university’s “broad range of stakeholders.”
Public Service:
– 1991 – 1998: Assistant Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Technology. Under the Ontario government, Wolfson took part in Canada’s free trade and national unity file negotiations among other projects.
Private Service:
– 1998 – 2006: President and CEO of Interac Association/Acxxsys Corporation. In this capacity, Wolfson worked with the federal government’s Departments of Finance and Industry and was involved with national branding and marketing exercises.

Name: Frank Iacobucci
Latest Gig: Former U of T interim president Iaboucci’s new position as Chair of the Higher Education Quality Council set up by the McGuinty government this spring, involves his supervision over all aspects of post-secondary education including quality, accountability, and access.
Government Service:
– 1985 – 1988: Deputy Minister of Justice under the federal government
– 1991 – 2004: Puisne Justice on the Supreme Court of Canada
Private Service:
– Present: Member of the Torstar board of directors
– Present: Owner of Harlequin Enterprises Limited
Public Service:
– 1967 – 1985: Professor at U of T’s Faculty of Law
– 1979 – 1985: Dean at U of T’s Faculty of Law
– 1983 – 1985: U of T’s Vice-President and Provost
– 2004 – 2005: U of T’s Interim President

[Ed. note: A confusion in Iacobucci’s profile was rectified at 8:45 p.m. on Jun. 19]