While the U of T baseball team is currently in first place in the Ontario University Athletics league standings, for the Blues (3-0) to be successful this year they will need production from the bottom of their lineup. With games that are seven innings long, the bottom of the order may see only one to two at-bats. It will be crucial for the Blues’ success that these last three batters have high on-base percentages so the stronger bats that follow can bring them around. Currently three points ahead of the Western Mustangs’ six, Toronto travels to Brock this Saturday, and hosts Waterloo on Sunday.

On the defensive side, Coach Lang is enthused about his starting pitchers. Jake Gallo, Daniel Colangelo, and Jesse Fulton combine for a sobering low-earned run average of 2.60. To put things in perspective, the combined average of the three is a lower mark than Major League Baseball’s league leader Johan Santana’s 2.75.

The upcoming season for the Blues has them settling into a new permanent home at University Playing Fields on U of T’s Scarborough campus. Lang believes the field will immensely improve the team, calling the lovely setting a nice boost for the players.

Obviously that boost has had an effect on the team. The Blues opened their home park on a high note, shellacking McMaster to the tune of 11-0. Outfielder Travis Skelton, an OUA second-teamer in 2005, knocked in two runs and recorded three hits from the lead-off spot. He and shortstop Daniel Lee currently lead the Blues’ batting average with a robust .500. Second baseman Mike Dahiroc added three runs-batted-in in the one-sided victory. Starting pitcher Gallo tossed a three-hitter to earn the shutout with Ryan Donnelly closing out the game to seal the win.

The win and U of T’s undefeated record are all the more impressive when compared to last year’s standings of both the Marauders and the Blues. Each had far from impressive seasons, as both tied for last place at 6-11.

In a double header at Laurier Saturday, U of T dispatched the Golden Eagles 6-5 and 6-3. The Blues were to face Guelph Wednesday, but the game was rained out.

-Justin Panos

Opening their title defence, women’s fastpitch will officially get back to work against the University of Brock Saturday. The Blues are coming off a spectacular 2005-06 campaign in which they walked away with the gold, beating the Ottawa Gee Gees in the deciding game to come out on top in the 2005 Ontario Intercollegiate Women’s Fastpitch Association.

For any team, coming in as the defending champs can sometimes add an extra level of pressure. But, this feeling is often offset by a new and improved confidence in yourselves and the ability of your team. For the Blues, there is no reason why they should not continue their strong play. Look for Toronto to come out swinging, as the core from last year’s championship team remains intact. Almost all of the stars from last year’s championship squad are back in the blue and white once again. As the old adage says, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” The Blues have stayed true to these words.

A few notable returning names include: Jenny Reibeling, the 2005 OIWFA League Most Valuable Player; Lisa Kennedy, last year’s post-season MVP pitcher who notched three victories in last year’s championship; and offensive stalwart Renee Cohen, who returns to anchor the lineup.

Last but not least, Karlene Headley-Cooper is coming off a tremendous campaign at the World Cup of Softball. Representing Great Britain at the event this past summer, Cooper hit the game-winning home run, defeating Italy 1-0 to give her nation the title. Playing on such a large stage for her home country will undoubtedly give her even more confidence and determination to come back and help the Blues title repeat at the OIWFA’S. Cooper led the charge on offence during last year’s post-season run, stringing together 13 of 19 hits en route to a team high of five runs.

While Cooper’s homer was a déjà vu following her playoff heroics, she has a great chance to keep the déjà vu train rolling, hopefully in the form of back-to-back championships.

-Jamie McCallum