After a mob of 6,000 drunk partiers pelted paramedics with beer bottles and torched a car at last year’s homecoming party last year, Kingston police is warning that at this year’s homecoming at Queen’s University, which takes place this coming weekend, it may use riot police and tear gas.

The weekend party happens every year on Kingston’s Aberdeen St., and its reputation draws revelers from far and wide. Queen’s has attempted in the past to provide alternatives to the party. But these have met with limited success.

In a press release, Principal Karen Hitchcock warned Queen’s will respond strictly to illegal acts at the unsanctioned party. VP Academic Patrick Deane was more direct: “Stay away from Aberdeen St. during homecoming. Showing up…makes you part of the problem,” he said.

The university also launched a “student awareness advertising campaign” featuring graphic photos from last year’s riot.

Taking the opposite approach, Queen’s Alma Mater Society (AMS) is working with police to set a peaceful stage for the party. “The best solution is not to come in with a heavy hand,” said AMS President James McMillan. Aberdeen St. will be closed off so police won’t have to clear partygoers off the road, which McMillan believes incited some of last year’s violence.

Full coverage in Monday’s issue of The Varsity.